8GB+ RAM, 2.5GHz+ Processor, Moderate GPU, 14 inch screen

shwhitten123

Estimable
Mar 26, 2014
I shall be immensely thankful to you guys if you can help me find the laptop that fits my needs. I've written a detailed specifications that are required by me for my dream laptop.

SUMMARY: I'm a web developer and love strategy games.

1. 14-inch screen (I can go with 15-inch if all the rest of the specifications are met with a 15 inch laptop)
2. 2.5GHz (I would love 3.0GHz) (make an estimate of the processor after reading all requirements)
3. 8GB RAM (I would love 16GB)
4. A good nvidia / AMD radeon graphics card

Games that should run smoothly on it:-

Counter Strike
Call Of Duty 4
Age Of Empires ( 1,2,3 and mythology )
command and conquer generals 2
stronghold (all parts)
dota 2
war craft 3 (dota 1)

(I also need video editing capable graphic card. Not heavy video editing. just screencasts editing.)

5. Anti-Glare Screen ( can be ommitted, not a must )
6. Lightweight ( <= 2.5 kg )
7. Keyboard Backlit Light ( can be ommitted, not a must )
8. Windows 8
9. Following Software applications should run smoothly and efficiently. By this I mean that when I click on a button of these applications then they should respond quickly. I can't even bear 1 second delay. It drives me crazy.

Netbeans
DreamWeaver
Photoshop
Gimp
Chrome ( with 150 tabs opened at a time )
firefox
safari
internet explorer
filezilla
flash games in a browser

10. Battery is actually not an issue. Can be as low as 2 hours.
11. Harddisk: 500GB will be sweet. Can agree on less space.

Wifi, USB ports, LAN cable support, headphones and microphone slots, webcam, microphone built-in

Thank you very much for your support.

Solution
From the looks of it you dont really need a very powerful GPU but a strong CPU is a must. I would tell you to look for laptops featuring a i7 CPU and a mid range GPU (like a GT 750M) but Im not sure about your budget

I highly recommend Sager/Clevo laptops, one such laptop I recommend is Sager NP7338. Its main con is that its a bit smaller than what you want at 13" but its more than enough in just about everything else you need including portablity/weight and backlit keyboard and it should have no problem performing in any of the games mentioned as it features a GTX 860M. A good dealer I have ordered from before is powernotebooks, their are a few other dealers like xoticpcs

I tried not to look at laptops bigger than 14" but if I had...

aloof11

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
From the looks of it you dont really need a very powerful GPU but a strong CPU is a must. I would tell you to look for laptops featuring a i7 CPU and a mid range GPU (like a GT 750M) but Im not sure about your budget

I highly recommend Sager/Clevo laptops, one such laptop I recommend is Sager NP7338. Its main con is that its a bit smaller than what you want at 13" but its more than enough in just about everything else you need including portablity/weight and backlit keyboard and it should have no problem performing in any of the games mentioned as it features a GTX 860M. A good dealer I have ordered from before is powernotebooks, their are a few other dealers like xoticpcs

I tried not to look at laptops bigger than 14" but if I had to mention one it would be a Lenovo y510p, it has just about everything except good battery life and on Newegg its SLI version (featuring two GTX 755M GPUs) is being sold for $900: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834313742
Notice that it features a i5 CPU not a i7 though, the i7 version is also on Newegg for $1k, also this laptop can be found on sale through Lenovos own site

Solution