8th gen i-7 slower than 6th gen i-7

Dec 2, 2018
I upgraded my i-7 6th gen 16GB HP envy m7-n109dx added Samsung EVO 860 SSD to an i-7 8th gen 32GB HP envy 17t-ae-100cto added HP EX920 M.2 1TB PCIe 3.1 x4 NVMe 3D TLC NAND.

I run a graphic intensive application that bogged down considerably with the 6th gen machine. I added the samsung 860 evo, which really didn't help.

On both machines the drives were the only things added.

The drives perform benchmarked as expected using AS SSD benchmark. The nand drive is 3 to 4 times faster in benchmarks than the samsung 860 evo.

Problem is, in real life performance, everything from boot to application (excel/word) to my graphic intense app is slower. Chrome lags (turned off/on hardware accel with no difference).

The 6th gen i-7 machine runs MS windows 10 home logged into my Microsoft account whereas the 8th gen i-7 machine runs win 10 as a local machine.

I know this may be a poorly worded description, but I would like some input into why the newer, much more powerful machine boots and runs slower even though the drive benchmarks are dramatically faster.

I wonder if the logged in vs local windows 10 could be the culprit or is possibly the windows installation may be the cause. I installed windows 8 (later upgraded to 10) on the older machine from a recovery USB but the shop that installed the PCI-E installed windows 10 from a USB recovery.

Last thing I can think of to add: I installed the SSD in the 6th gen i-7 machine (win 10 home/drivers/apps) whereas I got lazy and had my local shop install the 8th gen i-7 machine (win 10 home/drivers only - I installed the apps).

Before I reinstall/upgrade to win 10 pro I'd love some input.

I hope this isn't to wordy. I know it's a lot of information, so any input would be greatly appreciated.

I'll be glad to post more (!!!) if so requested.

Long time reader, but never posted here before as I am pretty good at hunting down what I need on forums and go0gle.

Thanks!

Dec 2, 2018
Let me add: I've contacted the custom builder of the laptop and HP. This is under warranty by HP as the customization were authorized with the likely exception of the PCI-E drive, but neither seemed particularly bothered by that.

They both kind of shrugged and I didn't blame them.

Dec 2, 2018
I ran "stress my PC" for an hour, 45 min on battery, 15 on power brick. Was writing this reply with all pertinent data and the laptop crashed.

Crap I thought to myself.

Came back to windows and everything ran smoother and faster.

WTF!!!

Was this a PC near death experience?

Seems to be better and at least as fast as my old laptop, which is pretty good for an almost 4 year old machine.

I'm going to say it's all better now.

Much better than throwing the machine out the window, which was never a possibility anyway.

Thanks for your insight.