9.2 home theater and speakers

Harsh_11

Commendable
May 9, 2016
I am soon to be creating an ultimate gaming and home entertainment lair and ive picked the pc, projector, and tv to go with. What is troubling me is my little knowledge on speakers and sound systems. Please suggest me a good reciever which supports 9.2 setup out of the box and all the speakers, subwoofers and other things in a complete list. Also i would like to have tower speakers rather than small satellite one. I have a big room to fill so no worries on space and budget. But the sytem should justify the cost. Also can someone suggest me some great gaming chairs or couch that would be great. Thanks.

Selected parts for pc : http://pcpartpicker.com/list/8F9TWX

Selected projector : http://www.sony.co.uk/pro/product/projectors-homecinema/vpl-vw5000es/overview/

Selected tv : samsung 55js9000

Solution
Since your budget for a projector is 60k. I will assume a pretty high budget for speakers and electronics. Speakers are tricky but I would suggest
Yamaha and Klipsch are not high end speakers. Revel, Paradigm, or Bryston are closer to what you want.. You would want a preamp processor and amps rather than a receiver so Anthem, Bryston or Marantz for prepro.
Amps - Bryston or Parasound.
Given you budget I would try and find a custom installer that carries some of these products and can help sort out the best options and more set it up so you get full advantage of your purchase. Careful set up of the projector (including ISF calibration), correct speaker placement, room treatment, and proper balancing will get you a better experience...
D

Deleted member 217926

That's way too vague. Do you have a $5000 budget? A $500,000 budget? Either is doable. You need matching speakers and could do much worse than starting here and finding something in your budget.

http://www.klipsch.com/home-theater-systems

You can expect to pay $1000-$2000 for a good receiver from Yamaha, Marantz, Harmon Kardon, Onkyo etc.

Plenty of other good speakers to choose from as well I'm just partial to Klipsch. Go to a store with a dedicated listening room and hear them for yourself. That's the best way to find what you're looking for.

iXeon

Estimable
Jul 6, 2015
Well, when i comes to systems like 9.2 or 11.2 it's not just about space it's also about the content you want to see. the standard for home theater is 5.1 as almost 60% of the movies has been recorded that way , there's only 40% of movies recorded in 7.1 configuration. and then when it comes to 9.2 the number of movies with this configuration is very few. but you could make the extra channels by the systems they have on the AV but it won't be like they were recorded that way (like you play Stereo in 3D mode) anyhow you can find this system a good one:
https://www.jensenspeakers.com.au/9.1-surround-sound (this speaker is 9.1 by the way)
and if you could wait LG is creating a 9.1 speaker config.

mrmez

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Yeah, budget can vary CRAZY for home theatre stuff.
As said, most stuff is still 5.1, but I'm betting Dolby Atmos will EVENTUALLY become the gold standard for the few, while everyone else will stick with 5.1 and eventually 7.1

I guess I can just give some general advice on what I like.
2 large floor standing speakers as the main.
2 Satellite for rear/surround, or 2 sat. and 2 floorstanding (obviously smaller than the front.
1 small-med centre
2 small-med for dolby atmos.
2 subs

Depending on what you get your receiver may have enough power for all, or you might need to add another amp.

Again, it all comes back to budget.
I got 5 B&W speakers and a sub for just a few thousand, or I could have got 9 B&W speakers for $101,000. receiver and amp not included.

Harsh_11

Commendable
May 9, 2016
The projector itself is friggin costly retailing currently at $60000 n i have to wait for 2 months till i can buy it. And all the things u all mentioned is true. Not a lot of movies r recorded in 9.2. But as for the other stuff i am trying to go futureproof same goes for audio system. Suggest me a 9.2 reciever with the link. And somebody told me that yamaha speakers are basic audiophile not as good as klipsch or boston acoustics. Please list the speakers and woofers with link. And setting up home theater with premium stuff is impossible with budget tats why i didnt speciify that. But at the end of the day products should justify the price. And for the store walk in, i have to buy most of the stuff online due to lack of a good store in my area tats why i cant do that.

D

Deleted member 217926

^ Yep. Plenty of people there who actually own high end stuff. I have a very basic audiophile grade 2.1 setup with a Yamaha stereo receiver and a pair of Klipsch RF 82 IIs and a Bic sub. What you are looking at is beyond my budget. The AVS forums have people who have the really high end stuff you are looking at. And to be honest you need to go listen before you buy anything. I love Klipsch and can listen all day but some people find the horns fatiguing. Don't spend that kind of money without being sure.

If it was me with no budget I'd be looking at these.

http://www.klipsch.com/products/thx-ultra2-home-theater-systems#thx-ultra2-home-theater-system

http://www.klipsch.com/products/palladium-home-theater-systems#p-39f-home-theater-system

ien2222

Distinguished
As far as I know, there's virtually no (true) content for 9.2...if any for home theater. However when looking past 7 channels (excluding Atmos/DTS:X) usually you're looking at front wides or front heights where the AVR uses some algorithm to extract content from the front LCR for those speakers giving it a more immersive quality. In that regards still worth having that if it's a suitable room.

As far as AVR's that are good to go out of the box: Marantz SR7010 and Denon x7200WA & x6200W support it. Some of Yamaha's Aventage AVR's and Pioneer Elites may also though I'm not sure, since Atmos/DTS:X came out it's a little ambiguous in the marketing what the extra speakers can do and I haven't read any of the manuals to find out.

For speakers, I'd suggest taking a look at JTR Speakers and Reaction Audio though you shouldn't limit yourself to just those when looking. Also, you can look at those two for subs as well as Hsu Research, Rythmik, Seaton Sound, and SVS.

Since your budget for a projector is 60k. I will assume a pretty high budget for speakers and electronics. Speakers are tricky but I would suggest
Yamaha and Klipsch are not high end speakers. Revel, Paradigm, or Bryston are closer to what you want.. You would want a preamp processor and amps rather than a receiver so Anthem, Bryston or Marantz for prepro.
Amps - Bryston or Parasound.
Given you budget I would try and find a custom installer that carries some of these products and can help sort out the best options and more set it up so you get full advantage of your purchase. Careful set up of the projector (including ISF calibration), correct speaker placement, room treatment, and proper balancing will get you a better experience.
It might be worth while to visit a dealer or two even if you have to travel a bit.

Solution