90% Performance drop in games and benchmarks

Feb 20, 2018
Hi,

Over the past month the performance in all games has went from a stable 50-60fps, to a maximum of 6-7fps. The games became increasingly worse in fps with more frame rate drops occurring. Now all games are unplayable and I still only get 6-7fps in the lobby of games such as overwatch or PUBG.

This was not previously a problem for the past 17 months I have owned this laptop.

Laptop Specs:

HP Omen 15-ax000na

Windows 10 64-bit
i5-6300-HQ 2.3GHz (boost 3.2GHz)
NVIDIA GTX965m
8GB RAM
128GB SSD
1TB HDD

I tried benchmarking using the following programs:

Furmark: Score: 309 1920x1080 FPS: 7
Heaven: Score: 180 1920x1080 (HIGH) FPS: 7.1

GPU will run at 100% when running benchmarks/games and I have checked that the intel graphics are not being used.

I tried reinstalling nvidia drivers from scratch, and all other drivers are up to date including the motherboard driver.

I considered temperature as an issue, however it has never been an issue before and the laptop is well ventilated. CPU will idle around 40-50°C, and reach 60°C when benchmarking/gaming. GPU temp doesn't go above 40-50°C.

Anti-virus scans are clear and computer has always been virus free.

I have also checked that there are no processes running in the background out of the ordinary. And CPU, GPU, Memory do not have high %usage outside of games/benchmarking.

HP hardware diagnostics test: PASSED

Laptop works flawlessly in all other aspects, only issue is when GPU usage is required.

I have run out of ideas and have no idea what could be causing this issue.

Thank-you in advance for your help!!

Solution
1| Moved thread from Components section to Laptop General Discussion section.
2| Did you use DDU to uninstall your drivers and reinstalled the last stable version for your laptop? Seeing it's the GTX965M, you could try older revisions.
3| Are you on the latest BIOS update for your laptop?
4| What are you numbers when the system is idling and you've got System Resource monitor up and running? If it's close to 100% then you're suffering from a memory leak. A repair install should take care of it.

Lutfij

Splendid
1| Moved thread from Components section to Laptop General Discussion section.
2| Did you use DDU to uninstall your drivers and reinstalled the last stable version for your laptop? Seeing it's the GTX965M, you could try older revisions.
3| Are you on the latest BIOS update for your laptop?
4| What are you numbers when the system is idling and you've got System Resource monitor up and running? If it's close to 100% then you're suffering from a memory leak. A repair install should take care of it.

Solution