A Back-to-School Laptop

Denthil

Estimable
Aug 24, 2014
Hello good people.

So, in preparation for the start of freshman year, I am purchasing a new laptop. I'm studying computer science, and would prefer to do my coding on my laptop that I will use for all of my classes, than to do so on the horrid school machines... they all suck. However, I am having a very hard time finding a laptop with the specifications I want. So, as I often do, I am turning to this forum for help.

Some of the aforementioned specifications are unwavering. They must be met. Others, are not.

Set in stone requirements:
1. It must have 8gb or higher memory CAPACITY (I am perfectly happy to do upgrades myself, however the upgrade must be possible on the machine. Please don't tell me to upgrade a laptop with welded on DIMMs or something.)
2. It must be at or below $800. I welcome suggestions not meeting this particular criteria because a boy can dream, but I won't be able to purchase it.
3. A Core i5. If absolute need be, and everything else about a laptop was perfect, I would be willing to settle for a higher-end 5th gen i3, but no less. I do want just a bit of kick.
4. Battery life must be decent. I define decent as exceeding 6 hours. That being said, I would really like something higher.

Preferences:
1. An internal SSD. Pretty self-explanatory. I would probably just upgrade a HDD laptop I bought with one of the SSDs from my gaming rig, but having one out of the box that wouldn't void my warranty would definitely by nice.
2. Weigh less than four pounds. While if other things are done right, I would be willing to bear a little bit of weight around with me, this is a school laptop and I will be carrying it in a messenger bag for nine months straight. Weight is a reference point.

Thank you all in advance. I really appreciate it.

Yours,

/g

Denthil

Estimable
Aug 24, 2014

Thank you for the speedy reply. While I don't think I will be going with either of those laptops, I was intrigued by the Asus model, which brought about a new method of searching. I found this and while the multiple reviews I found of it sounded fantastic I was unable to find an online retailer selling that particular model. If you had any insight as to why this was or where I could purchase one it would be much appreciated.

???? I posted a link to where it could be purchased!!!