A BIG RED LIGHTBULB that goes on when you're recording in ..

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On 23 Sep 2005 20:02:19 -0700, "Matt" <customdigi@aol.com> wrote:

>I've often wondered the same thing...would be way cool.
>
>How about a group buy? :) Oh yeah, what do we buy....
>
>Seems like the simple answer might have something to do with MIDI?

That was my thought. Don't most DAW software send MIDI commands
when you press the "Record", "Stop" and "Rewind" buttons? One just
needs a MIDI receiver box that turns on a relay when it receives
"Record" and turns it off when it receives some other "transport
control" command that would drop it out of Record.
For true "home studios" it would also be great if the MIDI commands
could also trigger X-10 home-control commands to cut power to the
refrigerator (or wall A/C unit or other noisemaker) while recording,
and turn it back on when stopping recording.
With all the bedroom studios popping up in recent years, I would
have thought this would be a common product.

>-Matt
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Markertek (http://www.markertek.com) is another source of studio warning
lights.

BrianS wrote:

>You could do it with this. It's basically a switch to ground interface
>with midi presets.
>
>http://www.rockmancentral.com/RockmanCentral/Docs/Octopus.html

My Urge To Merge project (http://home.comcast.net/~mrkesti/) could serve,
too. Its "stock" software controls the relays based on program change
messages but could be easily modified to use other messages.

The MIDI Machine Control (MMC) messages include Record Strobe (punch in)
and Record Exit (punch out) messages. I suspect that these are not used
universally, though, and that there is a wide variety of techniques to
peotentially be supported.

--
========================================================================
Michael Kesti | "And like, one and one don't make
| two, one and one make one."
mrkesti at comcast dot net | - The Who, Bargain
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

TJ Hertz <tjhertz@gmail.com> wrote:
>I want one. How?
>
>(with Cubase SX3)

Harris-Allied will sell you a variety of big RECORDING lights that operate
off of contact closure, or from a +5V line.

Normally we wire these into extra contacts on the record hold relay of the
recorder, or with a relay from the record hold line itself (usually grabbed
off the remote control plug).

On a DAW it might be more tricky, but do you have any sort of external
record light on the interface or any other indication? It would be no
trouble to trigger the light from a parallel port, for instance, but you
would have to get the software to send the right signals.
--scott

--
"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"TJ Hertz" <tjhertz@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:4334a229$0$49018$14726298@news.sunsite.dk
> I want one. How?
>
> (with Cubase SX3)
>

See if the signal on the digital output of your audio
interface changes when you activate it.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Scott Dorsey wrote:

> TJ Hertz <tjhertz@gmail.com> wrote:
> >I want one. How?
> >
> >(with Cubase SX3)
>
> Harris-Allied will sell you a variety of big RECORDING lights that operate
> off of contact closure, or from a +5V line.
>
> Normally we wire these into extra contacts on the record hold relay of the
> recorder, or with a relay from the record hold line itself (usually grabbed
> off the remote control plug).
>
> On a DAW it might be more tricky, but do you have any sort of external
> record light on the interface or any other indication? It would be no
> trouble to trigger the light from a parallel port, for instance, but you
> would have to get the software to send the right signals.

I like the idea of suing MIDI to switch the ligt on and off, assuming that the
DAW can do this.

The hardware involved is semi-trivial ( athough it does require a
microcontroller ).

If there's genuine interest I'd be up for designing it.

Graham
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Ben Bradley wrote:

> On 23 Sep 2005 20:02:19 -0700, "Matt" <customdigi@aol.com> wrote:
>
>
>>I've often wondered the same thing...would be way cool.
>>
>>How about a group buy? :) Oh yeah, what do we buy....
>>
>>Seems like the simple answer might have something to do with MIDI?
>
>
> That was my thought. Don't most DAW software send MIDI commands
> when you press the "Record", "Stop" and "Rewind" buttons?

http://www.borg.com/~jglatt/tech/mmc.htm says:
0x01 Stop
0x02 Play
0x03 Deferred Play
0x04 Fast Forward
0x05 Rewind
0x06 Record Strobe (Punch In)
0x07 Record Exit (Punch out)
0x09 Pause

The Fostex I have does not actually go into
record. You have to push the button. So I
dunno if the message is not being sent,
or what. I'll try to do a capture
later.

> One just
> needs a MIDI receiver box that turns on a relay when it receives
> "Record" and turns it off when it receives some other "transport
> control" command that would drop it out of Record.
> For true "home studios" it would also be great if the MIDI commands
> could also trigger X-10 home-control commands to cut power to the
> refrigerator (or wall A/C unit or other noisemaker) while recording,
> and turn it back on when stopping recording.
> With all the bedroom studios popping up in recent years, I would
> have thought this would be a common product.
>

Making home recording more efficient isn't
necessarily interesting :)

>
>>-Matt
>
>
--
Les Cargill
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Port wrote:
> I think this could be made to work for you....

> Jasoni Electronics
> Kontrollex Model A-1: This controller was designed for users of audio mixers
> that do not have provisions for muting speakers and turning on a warning
> light when live mics are used in the same studio as monitor speakers. The
> controller can be activated three ways: audio send from mic channel, on-off
> switch and 5-35V dc.

The trick is to find the on-off switch or voltage source, but once you
have that available, this box might be a useful alternative to those
who don't want to build something original. The trouble with computers
is that there's no "record" light on the front panel where you can pull
voltage off to operate a relay.

MMC has some potential. The Record Strobe command is a pulse (not a
continuous level) when the machine enters Record, so you might be able
to capture and latch that, unlatching it with the Stop command. There
used to be gadgets that could do that, but with more and more MIDI
being "in the box" they're hard to come by.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

I think this could be made to work for you....
I have not tried it yet but I am getting one from Dan to check out..
I believe that they are $195
I have no affiliation with Jasoni Electronics.

Jasoni Electronics

Kontrollex Model A-1: This controller was designed for users of audio mixers
that do not have provisions for muting speakers and turning on a warning
light when live mics are used in the same studio as monitor speakers. The
controller can be activated three ways: audio send from mic channel, on-off
switch and 5-35V dc. The warning light can be programmed to illuminate in a
solid or flashing mode. Multiple lights can be used. If self-powered
speakers are used, the user can loop the audio through the controller via
RCA jacks. Monitor amplifiers are properly terminated into a resistive load
when muted. Additional product information and a specification sheet is
available on request. 702-791-3394

http://beradio.com/products/radio_new_products_16/



"TJ Hertz" <tjhertz@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:4334a229$0$49018$14726298@news.sunsite.dk...
> I want one. How?
>
> (with Cubase SX3)
>
>
>
> Thanks,
>
> TJ
>
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

I would be very cautious about buying anything from Markertek. I've
done business with them a number of times in the past, and in almost
every case, their products, service and attitude were quite poor.

For example: once I ordered a patch bay and some short patch cables.
Only the bay arrived. I called them and was told the cables were
backordered and would take at least two weeks to ship. I told them to
cancel that part of the order, and credit my card as I would look
locally in the stores here in NYC for the cables. I found the cables
the next day. The very following day, the cables from Markertek
arrived. Long story short, they refused to take them back. I was stuck
with two sets which I didn't need.

Worse example: I ordered a set of about a dozen or so custom patch
cables -- they would be making them up to their "high standards." When
they arrived, three were missing the spring strain relief on the phone
plug end. Just rushed and sloppy workmanship. They refused to replace
them.

Horrendous example: When I was setting up field production kit, I
ordered a $1,300 Shure mixer. Actually needed it for a shoot I was
leaving on trip for in several days. They had a "new" unit in stock.
Had it sent FedEx next day. While using it, noticed that one of the
three channel pots was loose compared to others. Also seemed strange to
me that part of case Velcro was already mounted on mixer. When I got
back from trip, I examined contents of carton (was too rushed to get on
plane earlier), and noticed paperwork between Shure and Markertek
definitively showing this mixer had been repaired by Shure (apparently
dropped by previous owner). When confronted with this Markertek denied
it was a used/repaired unit. I was livid, but couldn't get them to
budge from their position that they sold me new mixer. Tried to get
Shure to take it in, replace knob (and pot) and warrant it as new. They
refused, saying I had bought a previously owned mixer (I suspected
Shure might have been in cahoots with Markertek to sell rehabed
equipment as new, and have never bought a single Shure product again!).
What I should have done is brought Markertek and Shure to court. But I
was much too busy working at the time, and the mixer seemed to work,
although that first channel was a little noisy once in a while (don't
have unit any longer).

I found Markertek's customer service to be useless. Could never get
intelligent, responsible person to respond to my complaints. Could
never get name of supervisor, company executives, etc. Once ran into
several of their smart-ass reps at trade show who almost laughed at me
when I told them this story.

Bottom line: I've never done business again with them. I realize their
catalog lists much obscure gear, etc., but if couldn't find it
elsewhere, I'd do without out. If they were the only supply house in
this biz, I'd go raise goats!

Beware of Markertek!
 

danger

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2005
20
0
18,560
0
Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On 26 Sep 2005 18:36:45 -0700, nydanceflm@aol.com wrote:

>I would be very cautious about buying anything from Markertek. I've
>done business with them a number of times in the past, and in almost
>every case, their products, service and attitude were quite poor.
>

No Issues excellent service and when there was a UL issue with one of
the items I bought they called to let me know about it.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Awright! Let's take a poll. Anyone with a DAW program that sends MMC
commands (that's MIDI Machine Control, not MIDI Time Code, not SMPTE
time code) raise your hand and identify your software. A few years ago
when I was looking into this, none of them did, on the assumption that
the DAW would be a slave, controlled (via MMC or otherwise) by
something else and not be the master controller.

Second, if the BIG RED LIGHTBULB went on when the "transport" was
moving (in both Record or Play) would that be useful? After all, people
should shaddap for playbacks, too.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Mike Rivers wrote:

>Awright! Let's take a poll. Anyone with a DAW program that sends MMC
>commands (that's MIDI Machine Control, not MIDI Time Code, not SMPTE
>time code) raise your hand and identify your software. A few years ago
>when I was looking into this, none of them did, on the assumption that
>the DAW would be a slave, controlled (via MMC or otherwise) by
>something else and not be the master controller.

Cakewalk Pro Audio 9. I made ADATs slave to CWPA9 using a JL Cooper
DataMaster to receive the MMC and cue the ADATs. It worked well except
for the time it took to wind tape to new locations.

>Second, if the BIG RED LIGHTBULB went on when the "transport" was
>moving (in both Record or Play) would that be useful? After all, people
>should shaddap for playbacks, too.

Yes, they should shaddap and it is one of my pet peeves when they don't,
but I still want the BRL lit only when in record.

--
========================================================================
Michael Kesti | "And like, one and one don't make
| two, one and one make one."
mrkesti at comcast dot net | - The Who, Bargain
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

>Anyone with a DAW program that sends MMC
>commands (that's MIDI Machine Control, not MIDI Time Code,
>not SMPTE time code) raise your hand and identify your software.

Sonar 4 can send MMC "to start and stop playback and recording on remote
MIDI devices such as tape decks, video recorders, and even other
software packages." I don't know if earlier versions could; I presume
Sonar 5 (now in preorder) will still have this feature.

Sonar often reminds me of the old joke about my favorite text editor:

"Master, does EMACS have buddha-nature?"
"... I can't see why not. It has everything else."
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Mike Rivers wrote:

> Awright! Let's take a poll. Anyone with a DAW program that sends MMC
> commands (that's MIDI Machine Control, not MIDI Time Code, not SMPTE
> time code) raise your hand and identify your software. A few years ago
> when I was looking into this, none of them did, on the assumption that
> the DAW would be a slave, controlled (via MMC or otherwise) by
> something else and not be the master controller.
>


http://www.fasoft.com . Has since 2.0 .

> Second, if the BIG RED LIGHTBULB went on when the "transport" was
> moving (in both Record or Play) would that be useful? After all, people
> should shaddap for playbacks, too.
>

Sure!

--
Les Cargill
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Mike Rivers wrote:
> if the BIG RED LIGHTBULB went on when the "transport" was
> moving (in both Record or Play) would that be useful? After all, people
> should shaddap for playbacks, too.


Might be nicer if the light could differentiate between Record & Play
commands, so that you had both a Big Red "Recording" light and a Big
Green "Shaddap" light.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On 28 Sep 2005 10:29:36 -0700, "Matt" <customdigi@aol.com> wrote:

>Pro Tools LE 6.9
>
>Playback and Record both would be fine, record only would be
>better...either way its cool.


I like the idea of a green one for play, er, reproduce, and a red
one for record. If you wanted record only, you could unscrew the green
lightbulb.
 

area51nz

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
1
0
18,510
0
I brought one of these over a year ago from www.studio-lights.com it has a midi and line level / RCA interface for turning on and off, its worked flawlessely every single day for over a year now.


Han
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
opriem Audio 1
L Audio 0
M Audio 3
jessitokki Audio 1
rclr Audio 2
kobinath Audio 1
Jmatsumoto Audio 1
tquinnddddddd Audio 1
Drakon_71 Audio 1
Ol'Hippie Audio 5
alexanderisreallygreat Audio 3
R Audio 2
R Audio 1
G Audio 0
M Audio 2
A Audio 2
S Audio 3
T Audio 6
S Audio 8
bbeennyy1000 Audio 2

ASK THE COMMUNITY