Solved! A complicated Issue - Asus 90Sv

J_Rimmer

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
Hello, I’ve been in an ongoing battle with my Asus N90sv Laptop.

The Problem:
The issue stared one day when I woke up my laptop from sleep mode, when the monitor came up it was the blue screen of death. It gave me the following error, “Kernal_Data_InPage_Error.” I later found this information on this error stating, “This error code stats that the requested page of kernel data from the paging file could not be read into memory.” They went on to say, “it appears that there are some issues with the hard disk.” In this article they recommended you run a “CHKDSK” I did and my hard drives both came up clean.

Information I found about this error: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/blue-screen-with-this-error-code/03276fa2-6dcb-44d0-a778-499d5d00b65d

The next issue related or not has appeared as a blue screen as well, in the same manner actually (when I woke it up from sleep mode) except this time it didn’t give me a worded error message is just gave me this, “Stop 0x000000F4” followed by, “0x00000000003, 0xfffffA80009BD6B30, 0xFFFFFA8009BD6E10, 0xFFFFF80002D8D8B0.” I haven’t looked too much in depth about this “Stop F4 error,” but it would appear this error has something to do with the hard drive.
Information I found about this error: http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic70797.html
(The above F4 error has came up again, this time with the following address’s (Or whatever these number stand for), “0xFFFFFA8009B89710, 0xFFFFFA8009B899F0, 0xFFFFF80002DE38B0.”)

Lastly my system has had a problem when I wake it up form sleep mode where sometimes the screen will come up white, with grey lines across the screen. You cannot do anything except hold down the power button to restart the system. I know it’s not the screen because when you restart the screen works fine.

What I have tried:
Now that you know all of the problems I’ve been having, now I’ll let you know what I have done in an attempt to isolate/fix the problem.

1. I’ve ran a CHKDSK as mentioned above and it came out error free on both hard drives.
2. I’ve ran memtest 86 for 6+ hours and it did not report any problems with my memory.
3. When I was installing the Windows 7 onto this system about 6 months ago, I made sure to download all of my drivers form Asus’s page for my Laptop.
Link to driver page: http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=N90SV&p=3&s=173&os=30&hashedid=YBBc5YB4QLffAY1T
4. I have installed all of the latest Windows 7 Updates
5. I have Norton 360 up to date and the scans show up clean.

Any advise would be greatly appreicated. Thanks!

One additional Note: This laptop came pre-installed with Windows Vista; I upgraded the OS the day I got it to Windows 7. I have noticed these blue screen issues for as long as I have owed it.

Laptop Specifications:
Processor: Core 2 Duo T9550 @ 2.66GHz (Penryn)
Motherboard: N90SV – Chipset: SiS 671/FX/DX/MX (North Bridge) SiS 968 (South Bridge)
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. Version 207 (Date: 02/25/2010)
Memory: Samsung DDR2 PC2-6400 (400 MHz) 2,048 MB (x2 – 2 sticks of ram)
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GT 130M 1G (Core: 600 MHz, Shaders 1500 MHz, Memory 500 MHz)
Hard Drives: 465 GB 5200 RPM (ST9500325AS ATA Device) and another 223 BG 5200 RPM (ST9500325AS ATA Device) (They both say, “Standard disk drives” for the manufacturer.)
CD Rom Drive: HL-DT-ST- BDDVDRW CT10N ATA (Blue Ray reader and regular DVD burner)
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium w/ Service Pack 1 (64-bit Operating System)

Solution
Furmark would stress the video card and if it artifacts then it's showing the video card is failing. I've had this happen with an 8600m gt that had troubles resuming from sleep. My brain was used and maybe manners should be used on your part

Ari3sgr3gg0

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
I'd check your graphics card since the problem seems to appear resuming from sleep. If you're comfortable running a furmark test to see if you get any artifacts that would teel you for sure

Ari3sgr3gg0

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Furmark would stress the video card and if it artifacts then it's showing the video card is failing. I've had this happen with an 8600m gt that had troubles resuming from sleep. My brain was used and maybe manners should be used on your part

Solution

J_Rimmer

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
I did the update (tried both only one worked), but it ended up blue screening again after waking up from sleep. It was a bit different though, the screen didn’t come up a blue screen it just blue screened shortly after it was woken up.

It let me boot up into it, so I’m going to restore to an earlier point (before I did this update) and try replacing the RAM. Despite Memtest 86 coming up clean, I want to see if a change in memory changes anything.

Thanks for the help, any other advice you might have would be more than welcome