A good cheap smartphone?

Who95

Estimable
May 10, 2014
Hi!

I've never had a smartphone and, with the decrease of prices, I was thinking about getting a cheap one (and with cheap I mean one that doesn't cost much more than 160 dollars).
I'd just like to use Whatsapp, Facebook, Gmail, Youtube, some simple apps and browsing on the web without lags, freezes, slows or other problems. I don't care about the photocamera. I don't need a powerful CPU, as I'm not interested in demanding 3d games (I'll be glad to play games like Plants vs Zombies, but I don't think they are a problem for a cheap phone).

2 years ago I had an awful tablet (I don't remember brand and model, but I remember it had Android Ice Cream Sanwich): it was slow, it continually freezed and the autonomy was minimal. I don't want an experience like that one again, and I think a really cheap phone could just be like that; I'd just like a smooth, fast (as possible) smartphone, with a nice autonomy (at least one day) and possibly a microSD slot.

Surfing the web and asking friends I found:
- Nokia Lumia 520... but I'm not sure about Windows Phone... I've been told it's less customizable and it has a very few apps...
- Huawei Y300 or Y330. I'm afraid they're a little bit slow (and the RAM has only 512mb: I think it could easily freeze)... and I'm not even sure about the quality of the build; it looks like it could be easily broken
- finally Moto G, which seems to be even more than what I was asking for... Specs are high, as well as the price...

Do I need something like Moto G? Is there any good Android smartphone in a price range between the Moto G and the Huawei Y300/330? Would Windows Phone be ok for me?

Thanks a lot!

(Sorry for my bad english, I hope you can understand what I meant)

Who95

Estimable
May 10, 2014
Thanks! I'll give it a look.

By the way, I've heard about the upcoming Moto E and, if the price is nice, I'll probably go with that one (official announcement date is set on 13 May, so I'll just wait)

Zircoben

Estimable
Apr 15, 2014

Ugh don't buy that crap. Just look at those reviews. Techrico is obviously trying to sell his own item on Amazon.

Don't buy a Windows Phone. I have one and they are terrible. I owned a Nexus 4, and it is an EXCELLENT phone. It runs stock Android, and gets fast updates from Google.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Google-Nexus-4-16GB-Black-Unlocked-Smartphone-/131189624010?pt=Cell_Phones&hash=item1e8b82ccca

It is cheap, has a quad core, and an excellent screen and build quality. If that costs too much, this is a great option:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-Galaxy-Nexus-SPH-L700-32GB-Gray-Sprint-Smartphone-/201089557302?pt=Cell_Phones&hash=item2ed1df2336

It is older and not as powerful, but for the price it is UNBEATABLE. My brother bought it and I have tried it out and it will run a lot of games pretty well, just a bit slower. I'm sure it will do very well in most all tasks you throw at it, including Plants and Zombies. It may lag a bit here and there with it's dual core, but it really does well. It has Android 4.3 and is very fast still.

Hope I could help!

Who95

Estimable
May 10, 2014
I'm glad so many answered, thanks!
Unfortunately I live in Italy and prices here (among tons of other things) suck... That Nexus would really cost a lot, for example. A smartphone like the moto G is actually the max I could buy (which is something like 189 dollars, I think)... and I'm even looking for a cheaper alternative...
Also i'd like to buy a new product, not an used one.
I'll probably wait until italian price and release date of the Moto E are revealed, then I'll definitely decide what I should buy.
What do you think of Moto G and Moto E? They seem the best, for the price...
Thanks a lot!

truegenius

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
moto e have 1.2ghz dual core cortex a7 cpu which will handle all your application that you have listed easily
it have 1GB ram which will ensure lagfree processing
with latest kitkat android
and it can play plant vs zombies very easily as its cpu is already good and its gpu is adreno 302 which can even play nova 3 (3GB fps graphics intensive game)
and it is half the price of moto g
thus perfect for your needs and perfectly fits your budget
so go for moto g

blademaster123

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
The Moto E recently came out and is execellent value for money, don't think about the Y300 my aunty has it and I had to root it and install a custom ROM to get it to run smoothly. Though if you can get the Moto G, that is a great phone, and you will love it.

Zircoben

Estimable
Apr 15, 2014

Is the Moto E available yet in your area? If it is, that is an excellent choice.

The Moto G is really your best option for a new phone. Don't buy ANY no-name brands like the one Techrico is trying to sell.

I would seriously consider getting used options on eBay, because you can save hundreds. I bought a $600 HTC One used for the price of a Moto G, and I love it, and it blows the Moto G away in every regard.

Samsung's phones are far below Motorola in specs and quality. Avoid Samsung. I think you should get a Moto E if that is available, and if you can splurge and if you are comfortable, get either a Moto G or a used phone on eBay.

Hope I could help!