A little help choosing between 2 laptops.

Charpin

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011
Hi All,

Been a long time "lurker" of this forum, been a huge help over the years for me :)

I'm hoping someone would be kind enough to help me out with some advice here.

I am after a new laptop my budget is £1000. Mostly for gaming and graphic work.

The following is what I was going to order:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=LT-025-MS&groupid=959&catid=1828&subcat=

However, after reading the Overclockers forum and a few other forums I began to hesitate a bit, noted a few comparisons with other machines such as the Dell XPS17 etc. Its rare for me to have some available money for new hardware so I'd appreciate if someone could help me out here as I'd like to make sure I get the best machine I can.

I found this one (which is an XPS 17 L702X) a short time ago:

i7 Quad Core (i7-2630QM) (2.00 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 2.90 GHz)
8 GIG DDR 3
1000 GB Hard Drive 7200RPM
Windows 7 Premium 64BIT
3GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 555M
Built in Wireless "N"
DVDRW
UK Spec
USB 3.0 Technology
9 Cell Battery

Between the Overclocks GX660R (linked first above) and the spec I quoted above, which would you say is better?

Would be very grateful if I could get some opinions here.

Thanks!

Bacterius

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2010
Hello,
my dad recently purchased exactly the same Dell XPS model you quote here. The CPU is amazing, but graphics-wise not so much (no big deal since he didn't need it anyway). So if you're really looking for a gaming laptop, you should go for that GX660. That being said, graphics work could benefit for the additional power of the SB i7.

Personally I would try and find a laptop with similar prices that offers a 2nd-generation CPU (its number starts with 2, like in 2630QM) AND a good graphics card like this HD5870.

But to the topic I would go for the GX660 for gaming and graphics work.