A thin blue line vertical on my screen sticking f2 button?

Danielle18pminus

Commendable
Sep 4, 2016
Hi I am using window ten on a Dell laptop
and i was wonder about two issues. One is the f2 button keeps sticking so it enters set up in boot up.The other is the vertical blue line that has appeared down my screen.

Can I get rid of both these problems?

Solution
I can't find that model anywhere - are you sure that's the right model number?

You're right though - the safest thing to do might just be to just live with it until you get a new laptop.

scuzzycard

Commendable
Feb 26, 2016
The line on your display is probably being caused by a faulty ribbon cable. First, hook the laptop up to an external monitor. If the line is not present on the external monitor, power down the laptop and remove the battery. Open the laptop and try reseating the ribbon cable that connects the screen to the motherboard. There are youtube videos showing how to do this for most popular models. In many cases, this will fix it. If not, you'll need to order a new cable.

As for the F2 key, try pulling the key off and cleaning it out with a cotton swab dipped in rubbing alcohol.

Danielle18pminus

Commendable
Sep 4, 2016

Thank you but as I am scared of breaking it further as I am no good at laptop putting back together do you thing it might be better off me getting a new Laptop than fiddling around with something I am not sure about?

scuzzycard

Commendable
Feb 26, 2016
I can't find that model anywhere - are you sure that's the right model number?

You're right though - the safest thing to do might just be to just live with it until you get a new laptop.

Solution

Danielle18pminus

Commendable
Sep 4, 2016

I think I mistook the 5 for an S getting a new one tomorrow. so it is Inspiron Q15R