Question A1278 MBP 13.3" not charging - not switching on - only green led

Apr 26, 2020
Hi all,

i’ve bought a MacBook Pro Early 2011 A1278 model 2nd hand.

Changed some faulty plastic keys, Changed in SSD Kingston, Put 2x4gb Crucial 1333mhz. All was good and perfect. Only the battery has got more 1300 cycles, so I decided to buy a new one.

After replacing the battery it started to give me some problems…

It descharged and never restarted working correctly. I have tried also to put back original battery without any chanche.

Now it give me a green led on the power charger, but no switching on.

Actually I can switch only with this:

1) remove the power charger

2) press power button for 2-3seconds

3) connect the power charger

4) leave power button

5) it starts with full fans load, not sowing battery status, no led on power charger, and if I disconnect the power it shuts down.

I have tried to put back original HDD, original RAM, original battery… no changes. Also resetted SMC and similar... no changes

I have last SMC version: 1.68f99

It’s a MacBook Pro early 2011 with i5 2.3GHz.

I Appreciate your help.

Apr 26, 2020
You could try to reset the SMC by holding the left-side Shift-Control-Option keys with the power button at the same time with your charger plugged in. I would suggest you to give to a Authorized Apple Repair Shop to check out the problem. But here are some people who had the exact problem:
A link which might help you:
https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT203207

i have just tried that procedure to reset SMC
Apple repair center doesn't give assistance to old macs. They say that is obsolete, so you have to buy a new one. Just tried with my 15" retina 2013... imagine on 2011 old mbp...