Aaron Swartz Indicted For Hacking JSTOR

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
[citation][nom]Snooky2231[/nom]This is because Mr. Schwartz is Jewish. Since Obama became President, he has targeted Israel and many Jewish Americans. The FBI needs to be held accountable by the Anti Deflamation League because anyone can see Obama cares too much about people trying to murder JEWS AKA The Muslims(WHY WON'T OBAMA SHOW THE AMERICAN PEOPLE A PICTURE OF OSAMA BIN LADEN DEAD, AND WHY DID OBAMA DUMP THE BODY IN THE OCEAN.) Answer Obama is more worried about Muslim Peoples feelings then Jewish Discrimination from Muslims. David Seagal should call it what it is ANTISEMITISM FROM A MUSLIM OR FORMER MUSLIM PRESIDENT.[/citation]

Go chase conspiracy theories somewhere else. Obama isn't and never was a muslim. As a jew, I don't feel neither offended nor threatened by Obama.
Politically speaking I disagree with a lot of his actions, but what you say is pure insanity. Please, remove yourself from this discussion if you can't contribute in a meaningful way.

Back to topic, this is BS and I'm pretty confident that he will not be found guilty.

G

Search for the indictment, it's on the web and spells out exactly what he did.

In it you'll find that MIT pays for the JSTOR service and makes most, not all, articles available only to the MIT Community (students, faculty, etc.).

During the time when Swartz was downloading the millions of articles, it tied up MIT's gateway to JSTOR so that MIT researchers were unable to access the information they needed. Swartz spent a lot of time downloading the articles. It wasn't just a few hours JSTOR was unavailable for use by the MIT Community - it was multiple days at a time.

I don't think Swartz should be severely punished - but I don't think he should be let off with a slap on the wrist either. What he did is not equivalent to just getting stuff out of a library.

I was part of the MIT Community for 20+ years. Research is the life-blood of the place. So is obtaining grant money. It's quite possible, due to the long unavailability of JSTOR cause by Swartz's downloading, people may have been negatively impacted - due to info needed from JSTOR - in writing grant proposals. Grant proposals have deadlines. Hopefully nobody missed a deadline because they could access what they may have needed on JSTOR.

G

Wanted to supply the article that has the link to the indictment.

Article:http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/jul/19/reddit-founder-swartz-jstor-accused

Scroll down the bottom and link to indictment is there,

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
I don't get it. How can access to the JSTOR database be restricted for several days throughout the campus ? Downloading these things is exactly like viewing a web page and saving it, is it not ? So if it's viewing-saving, viewing-saving, viewing-saving, etc... how the heck can it cause multiple access points to die ??? Most likely it would choke the connection, but definitely not kill it entirely.

Just doesn't make sense... I don't think troll face did it.

...unless he deliberately shutdown all other connections for the process to work faster. But... days ?? Hmmm...

G

jstor is great, but not having access to it would not cause any real impact. You just shrug, and go to pubmed or wiley or something. That's why the indictment doesn't list any witnesses who are going to say, "I lost my NHA grant because of trollface." The whole point of jstor is downloading articles, he just automated it.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Did he have the legal right to be on the MIT campus at that time? Did he have the legal right to break into a closet? Did he have the legal right to get into the mainframe without permission and download the archives?
got that from a user of a main stream media site (aka typical yahoo user who i do not wish to subject to the emailings of pro-hackivists so the name is withheld ) and find it more accurate them most people's biased guessing of right and wrong.
http://beta.news.yahoo.com/internet...BzdGNhdANwb2xpdGljcwRwdANzdG9yeXBhZ2U-;_ylv=3
"Stealing is stealing whether you use a computer command or a crowbar, and whether you take documents, data or dollars," US Attorney Carmen Ortiz said in a release.
"It is equally harmful to the victim whether you sell what you have stolen or give it away," he continued.

Swartz's Demand Progress boasts a half-million members and advocating for "civil liberties, civil rights, and progressive causes."
"This makes no sense," Demand Progress executive director David Segal said in a blog post in response to Swartz's indictment.
"It's like trying to put someone in jail for allegedly checking too many books out of the library."

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]longliverock1974[/nom]F that guy...and all hackers.[/citation]
[citation][nom]Eddieroolz[/nom]Hacking to "promote" open government and such is still a crime. Don't try to sugar-coat it.[/citation]
"25-year-old Swartz ... allegedly broke into a computer closet at MIT"

Wow both of your definitions of hacking sure are strange...

The feds just don't like this guy because he stands for something. The real crime here is spending my tax dollars doing this bu11$h1t. Lets see, he used a laptop that was connected to MIT's network to download free articles then uploaded them to pirate bay. Bail was $100,000.00. MIT isn't pressing charges, the JSTOR foundation isn't pressing charges, but uncle sam is. Sharing already publicly available research papers with the public, its like a second 9/11. Just execute him and get it over with. Terrorist!

Status
Not open for further replies.