Abnormally High CPU Usage

NarbiusTheGreat

Estimable
Aug 16, 2014
While playing games, launching Google Chrome, or do anything that uses the CPU in anyway, the CPU usage gets pretty high. While playing TF2 or Minecraft, it gets up to 40-50 % just doing normal things in it.
My parts: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/topguythegreat/saved/hLMwrH

It seems also to cause small lag spikes while playing games. And I know that 40-50 % CPU usage isn't normal while playing those games. My friend gets 14 % on Minecraft, and has only a slightly better CPU.

My laptop gets 14% CPU usage while playing Minecraft. It is a HP DV7-6163US. Something is wrong here. (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02863099&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en)

NarbiusTheGreat

Estimable
Aug 16, 2014
Update: I have reseated the CPU, Did a memory test, and everything. Nothing. And the Temps are OK as I do monitor them at all times, and it got about 50 degrees Celsius in HeavyLoad CPU stress tester.

NarbiusTheGreat

Estimable
Aug 16, 2014

Can't be background processes. When my computer is idle it is at about 0-3% CPU usage. Only when doing these things, or simply launching Google Chrome brings it up pretty high. (Like 30-70%). If I click Single Player, and only show the Single Player maps in Minecraft, it goes to about 50% when not even in the game, and gets about 40-50% while in game on a server. That doesn't happen on my old laptop. Kind of scary in my opinion.

My antivirus (Microsoft Security Essentials) Doesn't take up any CPU usage while in game. When looking at the Task Manager it is the game itself taking up the CPU, not any other process. I also barely have any processes open (Infact I have way less compared to my laptop, which has sometimes 114-120 processes, which doesn't get that high of CPU usage.)

I test my CPU usage on Minecraft on my old Laptop, set the affinity to only using 4 cores (it has 8 cores compared to my desktop's 4 cores) and it gets 15-14 % CPU usage while playing the game on a server. It is also using the Intel HD graphics on the processor in my laptop which should also use more CPU usage anyway. There has to be something wrong here.

My laptop is a HP Pavilion DV7-6163US. It has a core i7 processor, which is slower than the i5 in my desktop (2 GHz compared to 3.5 GHz)

Any ideas?

It could be your IGP as it is weak, it uses the cpu more which would explain why the high cpu usage. You must also remember that minecraft takes a lot of ram and gpu power. This is why you are getting it. The only thing I can think of is to lower the settings or to upgrade your laptop if you can as the internals are quite weak by today's standard.

NarbiusTheGreat

Estimable
Aug 16, 2014

No no no no, my desktop gets this high CPU Usage, not my laptop. Infact my laptop gets lower CPU usage overall. This desktop, I'd presume, is pretty good, and should run Minecraft without ANY lag spikes whatsoever.

NarbiusTheGreat

Estimable
Aug 16, 2014

Nope and nope. I disabled all Non MS Services and Startup services in MSConfig. Nothing occured. Plus I tried it without my Microsoft Security Essentials. Nope.

Paul NZ

Admirable
Would speedstep cause it if its enabled in the BIOS? If the CPU supports it?

According to Google it can cause high CPU usage. I would either disable it or change the processor power management option under power to 100% to test it

NarbiusTheGreat

Estimable
Aug 16, 2014

I just decided to RMA my GPU to EVGA. Will post back if the fix worked! Thanks for all the replies. Will take a while.
Since these lag spikes occur, could be due to the GPU. I don't think the CPU is causing it because the CPU usage isn't even at MAX in games, so it shouldn't matter. It could be the motherboard, but doubt it, if the Mobo didn't work, then the entire computer probably wouldn't work.

NarbiusTheGreat

Estimable
Aug 16, 2014

I have tried that, didn't do anything. Also, for some reason it happens on my laptop. Now sadly if it's Steam, then I can't even play games if I uninstall it. So... what exactly do I do? Could it be Skype? Never heard of Skype causing it... Anything else... I doubt it is because I did a fresh install of Windows without fixing any lag spikes. Infact, the only thing it could be is Steam if it is software, OR some type of driver issue, but I have all the latest drivers. I tried downgrading some drivers - Chipset and GPU drivers, that didn't fix it at all either.

I am so lost, my laptop is causing it too... god. I need to test it on another computer in my house. Have to wait for my brother to come home so I can test his. Will come back in the soon future with results

It isn't my GPU by the way, I have replaced it and I seem to still get these lag spikes.