Academic Versions????? Whats with them?

Krazy

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2002
Hi,

I am a 'student', and i've been looking around at programs like Adobe InDesign, Office XP, Adobe Photoshop etc. and for all of them, there is an Academic Version.

The price difference between the academic version and the normal verisons are HUGE? so i was wondering, whats the difference. What don't i get in an academic verion, or are features cut down or out or what??

Basically, what is the difference between an Academic Version of say InDesign and the normal Verison that you'd get just about anywhere??? and is there a benifit other that priceing?

thanks

<font color=red>If My Dog Had A Face As Ugly As Yours, I'd Shave Its Bum and Walk It Backwards!</font color=red>

BunnyStroker

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
Can't speak for all of them, but as far as I know my academic copy of Office XP is the full version, and it only cost me like $20 if I recall correctly.

You probably won't be able to buy an academic copy unless your University has a specific academic license - you do know this right? You will likely have to purchase through your university as well; check your tech department or whatever for version specs

<b>1.4 Ghz AMD T-Bird underclocked to 1 Ghz...just to be safe!</b>

Krazy

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2002
Yes, i can buy the academic verisons, i've already checked all that :) i was just wanting to make sure, or confirm that the software that i get on this academic license is the 'Full' thing, and that it is not cut down or anything.

If things are cut down or cut out, i'll then have to go get a full copy, but that'll cost me a fortune.

thankyou for the reply :)

<font color=red>If My Dog Had A Face As Ugly As Yours, I'd Shave Its Bum and Walk It Backwards!</font color=red>

Zoron

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
Academic versions usually don't come with manuals, and CANNOT be upgraded. For example... if you had an academic version of Windows 95, you would not be able to upgrade it using a Windows 98 upgrade CD... you'd have to purchase the Windows 98 academic version.

(I know there are no academic versions of OSes... but I thought it was the simplest way to explain what I meant).

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

goloap

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2001
From my experience, the academic version has all the features that the regular program has. The idea behind the low price is that if they (the software companies) get you hooked on their product then there is a big chance that you will buy the full version when you won't be a student anymore; thus, paying the full price.

In ancient times they had no statistics so they had to fall back on lies

Zoron

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
I meant to say that other than what I mentioned, there are no disabled features in academic versions. The only differences are no manual and not upgradable.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

Krazy

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2002
thankyou for the Replys :)

haveing no manuals dosn't worry me as i know basically how to use the thing and the upgrades don't bother me either as the price difference makes up for me just buying a whole new version when it comes out :) or i just make do with what i buy now.

my main concern was with the features and what the program itself includes compared to a standard version. But seeing as you guys have confirmed for me that theres no difference software wise I'm happy :)

thankyou for you help.