Acer aspire V nitro Black + Razer core =future proof gaming laptop...

Darren Hagford

Commendable
Apr 28, 2016
my new laptop acer aspire v nitro black 2016 (VN7-592G-70EN)
i7 6700
660M
16G Ram
128 m2 ssd <--- looks like the sata flavor :(
removed the 1tb hdd for a samsung 500gb ssd
thunderbolt 3

So I picked this up for my gaming rig hoping that it will work with the razer core because of the thunderbolt 3 port, razer claims that it will support other notebooks with thunderbolt 3 so (fingers crossed) I am holding off on purchasing one, hoping for a price drop or more competitors to bring some other options to market. I am excited about the possibilities of thunderbolt 3 and external GPU's. I doubt it but has anyone here used a razer core yet but what do you guys think about it, 500 bucks is a little steep but it would be nice to slap a full 1080 card into it play full settings on your laptop.

Solution
Well according the following article (near the end of the article) the Razor Core is compatible with other laptops as long as they have Thunderbolt USB-C.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/3/18/11257690/razer-core-laptop-support-portable

I do not follow external GPU cases, but as far as I know only the Razor Core is compatible with laptops other than Razor branded laptops. Alienware and MSI have their own solutions, but they will only work with their own laptops. You might have to wait for holiday sales for the Core to get a temporary price drop.

Darren Hagford

Commendable
Apr 28, 2016
and by "future proof" I obviously don't mean for ever I know the 6700HQ will bottleneck, but just saying it would be nice to actually upgrade laptop GPU's and get more than 4 years out of a 2k$ """gaming """ laptop.

Well according the following article (near the end of the article) the Razor Core is compatible with other laptops as long as they have Thunderbolt USB-C.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/3/18/11257690/razer-core-laptop-support-portable

I do not follow external GPU cases, but as far as I know only the Razor Core is compatible with laptops other than Razor branded laptops. Alienware and MSI have their own solutions, but they will only work with their own laptops. You might have to wait for holiday sales for the Core to get a temporary price drop.

Solution