Acer Aspire V3 need to start recovery disk process, but BIOS greyed out

vaughan1

Estimable
Aug 31, 2015
Hello,
I have an Acer Aspire V3 (772G-9643 model) laptop that Acer sent me the recovery disks for. The first two steps they listed on the included sheet was to insert the disc labeled "System Disk" and then reboot and press F12 to get in the boot menu.

When F12 didn't work for me, I went into the BIOS using F2 and discovered that F12 Boot was disabled. I tried to go down using the arrow key but was unable to. All the options were greyed out, even on the other sections of the BIOS menu. System date and time were pretty much the only things not greyed out. Until I enable F12 I can't change the boot order to CD/DVD and can't start the recovery process with the Acer discs, so I'm completely stuck right now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, it's urgent as I really need this laptop for school which has already started. Since the laptop was very expensive it's important I try to fix it rather than buy a new one.

Thank you in advance for any help

vaughan1

Estimable
Aug 31, 2015

Next to "Secure Boot", it already says disabled. Next to "Boot Mode", UEFI Mode is enabled and it's greyed out, so I can't change it to Legacy.

The thing I need to enable, F12 Boot Menu, is also disabled, as is pretty much everything. "System Date", "System Time", "Set User Password" and "Set HDD Password" are the only options not greyed out.

unknmmp

Estimable
Sep 10, 2015

Try clearing the CMOS by removing the CMOS battery.

vaughan1

Estimable
Aug 31, 2015

I tried looking up CMOS battery guide for this laptop model and can't seem to find anything. I have no idea what that is which is why I was looking for a guide

unknmmp

Estimable
Sep 10, 2015

Step 13:
http://www.insidemylaptop.com/how-to-disassemble-acer-aspire-v3-551-8469/
I know that's not the same model but the procedure should be almost the same.

vaughan1

Estimable
Aug 31, 2015

I am not sure if I have the know-how necessary to do that. Also I have opened up my laptop before and it looks different from that model. Should I go to a repair shop and get them to do this?

unknmmp

Estimable
Sep 10, 2015

If your PC still has warranty I would take it to the vendor.
Otherwise you should take it to a repair store so you don't risk damaging other components.

vaughan1

Estimable
Aug 31, 2015

Update, I fixed it and posting what I did for anyone in the future:
First I cleared the User Password from the BIOS (typed Current, left New Password blank), leaving only the Supervisor Password as set. Then I clicked save and exit. Rebooted the PC.

Then I had to try the Supervisor Password. After 3 attempts, the Bios locked up. When it prompted me to "Enter Unlock Password", I used the BIOS Password Generator Tool on this website: http://www.tech-faq.com/how-do-i-reset-an-acer-bios-password.html

I entered the hash given on my laptop screen on the website, and clicked 'Compute'. I took the password generated from the site and pressed enter on the "Enter Unlock Password" screen, it worked and I was taken to the BIOS again. I rebooted my PC again.

The most important and final step was: when I rebooted, pressed F2, and was presented with the BIOS password page, I used the password that I got from that website and it took me into a BIOS with everything blue and available.

I enabled F12 Boot, booted from the System Disc, and now the Recovery Disc process is starting with Disc 1.