Acer Aspire V5 shuts off, fans get loud, not overheating

pjones235

Estimable
Sep 30, 2015
I recently bought the Aspire V5 552P-7412 on ebay thinking that $200 was a steal for this laptop. While it is a fantastic laptop, it's giving me too much pain. Everything about it works amazing, but after short time of using it, the fans will get really loud (enough to where my entire class turns and looks) and it'll shut off. Sometimes I can reboot and it'll be back to normal for a while. Other times, it'll shut off abruptly during boot. I've removed the fans and heat sync and thoroughly cleaned them to see if that would help, and it hasn't. The laptop is not overheating when it shuts off. It has shut off at temps well below 40C. I upgraded the harddrive to a solid state and downgraded from Windows 10 to 8.1, to see if it was a software issue. Sure enough, it runs fine now, but the fans are excessively loud. They are always loud during boot. When the fans get loud during use, the CPU speed drastically drops. I'm at a loss of what to do, but this laptop has too much good in it to give up on it now.

pjones235

Estimable
Sep 30, 2015

Yikes! Was it worth it?