Question Laptop shuts off during boot

Nov 23, 2020
I had a thunderstorm in my area recently and the outlet into which my laptop was plugged in short circuited or something during a lightning strike (a spark came out of the outlet). My laptop kept working like nothing happened, and the next day it worked for most of the day but at one point it just shut off on its own (it could have been that the battery died, I'm not quite sure). I haven't been able to turn it on since. When I press the power button it starts to boot for about 2 or 3 seconds, and the keyboard lights up, but then it just shuts off before the screen can even turn on. After that pressing the power button does absolutely nothing unless I unplug the charger and plug it back in. I tried clearing the static, taking out the battery and trying to turn it on that way, and I bought a different charger, but nothing makes a difference. Do you guys have any ideas of how I could fix it?

mejustsayin

Proper
Oct 11, 2020
could be a lot of things, best take the laptop to a shop and let someone look at it since they would have the proper equipment to test parts.

I would agree. The storm likely damaged something. Doubful you will be able to fix it yourself. Is the laptop new enough to still be in warranty? However, if they discover lightning damage it is doubtful they would fix it for free. You might want to consider sending it to the manufacturer anyway as they are better equipped to deal with such problems.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
alexandru123123 Laptop Tech Support 1
P Laptop Tech Support 15
P Laptop Tech Support 5
F Laptop Tech Support 5
jankeza Laptop Tech Support 9
S Laptop Tech Support 0
Z Laptop Tech Support 0
Haika Laptop Tech Support 0
Milknees Laptop Tech Support 0
B Laptop Tech Support 0
P Laptop Tech Support 1