acer disk error

Status
Not open for further replies.

marqrpa

Estimable
Apr 29, 2015
so my acer was working just fine until I got it backfrom a roommate and when I tried to turn it on is had said disk read error press ctrl alt del and I did it many times but to no avail, then I pressed F2 for setup boot or what not and now I says nothing but a black blank screen and will not respond. I have no idea what to do and this campus has no wireless so I cannot download a driver update or whatever it needs to be fixed. so if any help can be thrown out it would be greatly appreciated

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
Boot into Safe Mode (Google it if you don't know how)
Run CHKSDK c: /R (Google it if you don't know how)

If you can't boot into safe mode get into your computer's BIOS. (Google it if you don't know how)
Check for the hard drive in there and see if it's even being detected. Also, if it's not already turned on, you should turn on SMART for your hard drive. If that is on and it detects that the drive is failing, it will tell you and it would be time to replace that drive.

D_Know_WD

Estimable
Hi there marqrpa,

Unfortunately, it is possible that the HDD is dead. Is the drive recognized by BIOS?

If it is, you need to either take it out of the computer(sometimes could void warranty if under any) and attach it to another system and test it with some brand specific HDD testing tool or test it on yours with a HDD testing tool for DOS.

In case it is not, you can attach it to another system and see whether it will appear. If it does not, then it is most probably dead. If it appears though, then I guess there is something wrong with your laptop.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD

Status
Not open for further replies.