acer e5-421 brand new,so slow its painful.

slim85

Estimable
Feb 10, 2015
I bought a new Acer E5,QUAD CORE PROCESSOR,2GB, just basics downloaded,Skype,Chrome etc and the time it takes to open these along with word documents is chronically slow.I took it back and was told everything is fine etc before i had a 5 year old Toshiba that was 20 times faster and eventually gave away having thought that the quad core would be Usain speed.Having recently looked at Acer forums,it seems many Acer laptops are having this issue.Anything i can do or have i just been drained of 600 dollars?

Calculagator

Estimable
Nov 18, 2014
There are some oddities in what you list. The only Acer e5-421 I found on the acer site is listed as having 8GB ram instead of 2GB so I'm not sure if I'm looking at the same machine. Also, the one on their site retails for $500.
If I am, the A8 6410 will enable you to play games at low settings (especially paired with the r5 m240), but it has pretty poor performance for everything else. They call it a quad core, but it is quite a bit slower than an intel dual core. The 1tb drive is also probably a slower budget model that could really slow down loading times especially if there are any junk virus scanners or Acer update utilities running.
There certainly could be something else slowing your performance, but this is a low budget laptop, and you should not expect it to be fast.