Sep 7, 2013
So a friend bought an Acer Aspire E-15, E5-574g. Here are the specs:

• i5 6200u
    6GB RAM
    1TB HDD
    Nvidia 920m 2GB
    720p Display, 15"
    Windows 10 SN

So the laptop takes well over a 1.5 minutes to boot, along with having few hiccups here and there while browsing the web or using Windows Explorer. Games work as expected of a laptop.

I have an older 3rd Gen i3 (3217u) Dell laptop with 4 GB RAM also running Windows 10 but this one boots way faster (like 25 seconds).

Could the Acer laptop be faulty? Is it just slow because of being cheap considering the other specs (extra RAM, HDD, GPU)? Would removing a bunch of Acer bloatware help? Reinstalling Windows?

I personally thought that adding an SSD as a boot drive is our best option. Thoughts? Would it void our warranty?

Solution
I bought same model but the main differences are the amount of memory and the discrete GPU. (8gb, 940m with 4gb). mine also booted slowly. I did a little experiment. I imaged the drive after reloading windows 10 and doing all the updates. I then tried the booting process, already it was faster, significantly so, compared to when I first set it up. I then installed windows 10 pro (clean install). It was marginally faster than the refreshed version (but it was faster), even after installing most of the crapware and controlling apps that Acer put in. (this was with mcafee reinstalled). I did try it without the virus checker, it also loaded faster, but for many, not having the virus checker and firewall and other modules is a non...

Nabeel Farooqui

Honorable
Sep 7, 2013

What could be wrong, CPU temps shouldn't be an issue if its at room temp when booting, right?

Do i just call and say that its booting up slowly? Does warranty cover this 'issue'? They never claimed that it would boot up in X seconds.

Bill_84

Commendable
Jul 8, 2016
I bought same model but the main differences are the amount of memory and the discrete GPU. (8gb, 940m with 4gb). mine also booted slowly. I did a little experiment. I imaged the drive after reloading windows 10 and doing all the updates. I then tried the booting process, already it was faster, significantly so, compared to when I first set it up. I then installed windows 10 pro (clean install). It was marginally faster than the refreshed version (but it was faster), even after installing most of the crapware and controlling apps that Acer put in. (this was with mcafee reinstalled). I did try it without the virus checker, it also loaded faster, but for many, not having the virus checker and firewall and other modules is a non starter. for me, I just will redo the image when needed.
I suspect that the problem is the crapware installed with the system. My suggestion is to at least do a refresh and redo all the updates then see if it runs faster, even with all that crapware.

Solution

scaramanga96

Commendable
Nov 20, 2016
Hi,

I'm having a similar issue. I bought a new Acer E15 E5-575G with similar specs this week and it takes more than 2 minutes to boot, even though I only installed Win10, Office and some other small things.

Also, I realized that my 1TB HDD is most of the time running at 100%, even if I am not doing anything.

Did anyone come across a solution to these problems?

Cheese89

Commendable
Nov 20, 2016
Try turning the Windows 10 Fast Boot off on the Control Panel. It may seem paradoxical but for some reason having it enabled adds around a minute to eighty seconds to the boot up time.

It can be disabled on the Power Options menu on the Control Panel.