Acer laptop have to system restore everytime I boot

Jwilliams97

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013
Hello,

My acer laptop has had this problem for about a month now and I figured it is about time I looked to fix it. The problem is everytime i boot the laptop it simply will not boot and will go to a dark screen with just a mouse cursor forcing me to turn it off and switch it back on again. When I do this the laptop now gives me two options to 'start windows normally' which results in the loop of a blank black screen with just the cursor or 'launch start up repair' when I do this the system restores to a system restore point and eventually works fine but it means it takes half an hour every time I want to switch it on. It also means the updates that are installed when shutting down and starting are never actually installed as the system is restored to a point before the updates were installed.

For reference the laptop is an acer aspire 5732z on Windows 7. The computer is about 3 years old and I have had hard drive issues in the past forcing me to format the laptop and resulting in losing a lot of data. Any help on fixing this issue so it boots normally without having to do a system restore everytime i switch the laptop on would be much appreciated.

Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums,
Was the reason you reformatted the HHD something similar? I'm thinking a hardware issue here, possibly a bad HDD. Do you ever get errors that say no boot device or OS found?

Jwilliams97

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013
Cheers, you're right I've had to reformat in the past because 'no boot device has been found' and then I end up going to erecovery management and the only option being to format the hard drive as for some reason there is no sysem restore point and my recovery disks never seem to get me anywhere. In the last 3 years or so I'd say that has happened 4 times and the previous time (a couple of months ago) i invested in a SATA adapter to restore some of my old files in a very long winded process and even then some of my files were irretrievable I have since made a back up of my files (something I stupidly always fail to do). Looking back it is probably a faulty hard drive byt I have never encountered this exact problem before.

Jwilliams97

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013
Sorry could someone fill me in on running that^ hard drive test its not going to format my hard drive or anything is it? and how exactly do you do it?

I'm sure I probably will end up buying a new hard drive or SSD has anyone get any recomendations for something cheapish that won't decrease the laptops performance. (It's currently a 500GB, with 4GB memory and a 2.1Ghz ram).

Cheers for the feedback though, much appreciated.

It is best to use the diagnostics utility that is provided by the HDD manufacturer, list here http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/263203-32-need-support-here but you will need bootable media (CD or Flash drive*)
this tutorial found at the Seagate site explains how to http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/201271en

*if possible to boot from USB