Acer laptop screen only works for 3 seconds after opening it up

Darrenmoroz

Estimable
Sep 18, 2015
My Acer laptop screen only works for 2-3 seconds upon open in it up while it's running and in standby mode. Once it's open the screen goes black though everything is running fine and I can see it when hooked up to an external display. Obviously there is some sort of miscommunication happening to the LCD but no idea where to start. Help please! Thanks!!

Hello Darrenmoroz

I was wondering if you have already checked if your laptop is configured to send the video output ONLY to an external display device?

If not, assuming that you can view your PC's screen on the external display, you can press the Windows + P keys on your keyboard, and from the display settings box, click the Computer only option.

Hope this helps.

Darrenmoroz

Estimable
Sep 18, 2015

yes - i tried FN F5 and tried all the display options including Laptop screen on its own as well as dual display and extended - it didnt even flicker -
tried the Connect to a Projector option and same thing
now when i close it and open it - i get nothing most times and the external RGB line to my tv wont register and it says No Input on the screen and I have to physically hold down the laptop power button to kill it and then restart it before the tv will even recognize that it is running

simonchipmunk

Estimable
Apr 8, 2014

is this a new Acer,or older one?
Acer makes great Monitors,but when it comes to other electronic gadgets,they flunkout.
you may need to get a video card for it. is your Tv equipped to run USB input and hDMI input?

simonchipmunk

Estimable
Apr 8, 2014

I am assuming your TV is equipped with the connector for the monitor.sounds to me like your laptop is incompatible with your TV connections. I installed a video card that was set up to work with the TV as a monitor on a computer I built for a friend.

simonchipmunk

Estimable
Apr 8, 2014
find the manual for your laptop and see if the manual offers any suggestions re.. problems with your screen. if not, then contact Acer Support. Acer makes good monitors, but nothing else.Iif it is still under warranty, or new, then I would RMA it., for a replacement . It is also possible, assuming your laptop is older ,that you may need to replace the video card. How long have you been having this troublesome problem?
did you do anything, like have an update installed before this started happening?
is your laptop supposed to be able to work with an external monitor and/or the laptop monitor?Your manual should tell you if it is.
what model is this problem "child"?