Acer laptop shuts down randomly

Paul117

Commendable
Aug 7, 2016
Hello everyone at tom's hardware, I've used this site for a lot of troubleshooting but this time I'll be actually asking for a solution on the forums.

Specs:
Model: Acer Aspire V5-552p
Processor and graphics: A10-5757M with Radeon HD 8650G graphics
Ram: 6 Gigs of ram (4GB are part of the motherboard, 2 GB are from a stick).
HDD: 1 TB Western Digital HDD

My laptop shut downs out of nowhere, sometimes it shuts downs 5 minutes after I turn it on, sometimes it shuts down after 5 hours of using it, sometimes it doesn't shuts down after I've been using it after a lot of time.

The thing is, it shuts down even when just surfing the web, and sometimes while I'm playing videogames and as I said before It can last a lot of time and not even shut down sometimes, as an example I was playing Guild Wars 2 yesterday, from 10 pm to 2 am and it ran smoothly, didn't even shut down once, but today my laptop has shut down atleast 10 times. Also happens with other games that aren't even as demanding as Guild Wars 2.

And I have been trying to sort things out by myself, I've ran memtest that showed no errors, I've ran my laptop without the battery connected, I've even formatted my hard drive (did a factory reset, went back from w10 to w8.1), I've ran speedfan and keep an eye for temperatures and when on load goes up to 90 celcius (by the way, before my computer started to shut down I could play warframe while the air vent area of my laptop got so hot I couldn't even touch it and still my computer never gave me troubles) and I've even let prime 95 running for almost 5 hours and my laptop was still turned on by the end of the test.

I've change the thermal grease 5 times with no avail.

Anyway, whatever insight anyone at tom's hardware could give me to help me solve my problem would be GREATLY appreciated.

Solution
Well you seem to have done most everything.

Have you monitored the fan speed yet? it should slowly reeve up as temp rises, and as you posted, at high temp, the vents should feel like a blow torch. I can think no other reason that a temp problem.
Well you seem to have done most everything.

Have you monitored the fan speed yet? it should slowly reeve up as temp rises, and as you posted, at high temp, the vents should feel like a blow torch. I can think no other reason that a temp problem.

Solution

Paul117

Commendable
Aug 7, 2016
Hey, I haven't checked the fan speeds, but yesterday I set the max processor usage to 75% both plugged in and unplugged in, my computer hasn't turned off as of now so now I'm pretty sure that it is a heat problem. I guess I'll have to use a better heat grease for my laptop, silicon based grase won't do it. Thanks for your reply and thanks to everyone that tried to give me an answer even if you didn't even replied!