Solved! Acer stuck advanced otions

Status
Not open for further replies.

queeneileen4

Great
Jan 15, 2019
So upset. I called Acer helpline. Man told me to turn computer on while hitting F2. Now I an stuck. None of the advanced options work. Was even able to do my own system restore. Computer said it was successful but I'm still stuck on Advanced options. please help

Solution
After you held down F2 and opened up the BIOS utility, what did you do from there? I apologize for asking many questions. I am trying to put together a timeline of what may have caused Windows to break.

From what I have gathered so far:

> The laptop's touchpad stopped functioning.

> You contacted Acer's helpline for assistance. The person instructed you to hold down F2 during POST to enter the BIOS. I don't know what you did in the BIOS.

> Computer could no longer boot into Windows. Instead, it kicks you to the Windows Recovery options. You only have access to the Command Prompt.

> You initiated System Restore via the Command Prompt (rstrui.exe /OFFLINE :C:\Windows). The System Restore reported success. However, the computer still...

lolnole

Proper
Oct 2, 2018
What is the Acer laptop's model? Are you implying that the computer is frozen on advanced options? Is it not allowing you to go back to the top menu which has the options to shut down or continue to Windows?

queeneileen4

Great
Jan 15, 2019
Bless you for answering. It is not frozen it just keeps going back to a screen that says choose your Keyboard Layout. I choose US, then a screen that pops u and gives me 2 options: troubleshoot and turn off your pc. When I choose the troubleshooting option none of the options work except for command
Prompt. I've tried every solution I could find online and even seem to have done a system restore which seems to have been successful but when the computer comes back on and brings me back to that same blue screen with Choode guy your Keyboard Layout.
So it's not frozen but it only gives me those two pages. Over and over again

lolnole

Proper
Oct 2, 2018
I understand now. After you did a system restore and restarted the machine, Windows still would not boot up. What was the original problem that prompted you to call Acer?

queeneileen4

Great
Jan 15, 2019
No. The touchpad on the laptop attachment wasn't working. I could use the tablet fine. Now I can't use the computer at all. Ans I'm freaking. I was able to do a system restore by this command I found on Google:
rstrui.exe /OFFLINE :C:\Windows

queeneileen4

Great
Jan 15, 2019
I realize I said "No!" I thought your post asked if this was why I originally called. Originally called due to touchpad :) Man from India told me to hold down F2. And left me with this situation. Gave me a number to call to pay $100 for help. Mad because I could still use tablet before I called. Wanted to complain but don't seem to be able to connect with a human since not under warranty. Of course they don't accept emails or phone calls.

lolnole

Proper
Oct 2, 2018
After you held down F2 and opened up the BIOS utility, what did you do from there? I apologize for asking many questions. I am trying to put together a timeline of what may have caused Windows to break.

From what I have gathered so far:

> The laptop's touchpad stopped functioning.

> You contacted Acer's helpline for assistance. The person instructed you to hold down F2 during POST to enter the BIOS. I don't know what you did in the BIOS.

> Computer could no longer boot into Windows. Instead, it kicks you to the Windows Recovery options. You only have access to the Command Prompt.

> You initiated System Restore via the Command Prompt (rstrui.exe /OFFLINE :C:\Windows). The System Restore reported success. However, the computer still does not boot into Windows.

> You posted on this forum looking for advice.

Solution

queeneileen4

Great
Jan 15, 2019
Exactly. When I opened up the BIOS I didn't do anything, I couldn't. There were three screens.
The first:
Choose your keyboard layout
The Second screen:
Choose an option:
Troubleshoot
Turn off your PC
When I picked the Troubleshoot option it brought me to
3rd Screen:
Advanced Options (6 choices):
System Restore
Go Back to the Previous Version
System Image recovery
Startup Repair
Command Prompt
UEFI Firmare Settings

Most solutions on Google suggested I just Reset computer on Screen 3. That was not an option.

Do you think you can help? Please?

troubleshoot or turn off computer the third Advanced options with six options colon

lolnole

Proper
Oct 2, 2018
This is bizarre because your computer does not provide any reason to why it is not booting up. As a result, I am not exactly sure how to help you. In any case, we will figure it out somehow. I recommend you back up your data before proceeding any further. It is better to be safe than sorry.

I suggest entering the BIOS (F2 during POST). Click on Boot from the left-side menu. In the Boot priority order, make sure Windows Boot Manager is the 1st entry. If you made any changes, then click on Exit Saving Changes

Have you tried some of the other Advanced Options? If you have not already, I suggest trying Startup Repair first.

queeneileen4

Great
Jan 15, 2019
Thx again for trying to help.
Maybe my responses aren't going through but none of the Advanced Options work.
Each has a different reason- "to use System Restore, you must specify which Windows installation to restore restart the computer select an operating system then select system restore"
-No way of doing this.

Startup repair:
"Startup repair couldn't repair your PC"

Go back to the Previous Version:
""We ran into a problem and won't be able to take you back to the previous version of Windows try resetting your PC instead troubleshoot >reset this PC"

DON'T HAVE THE RESET THIS PC OPTION

You get the idea none of the advanced options work. So I went into the UEFI firmware settings and make sure the boot Windows was first as you suggested. It already was there though.

I don't know how to back up

So to sum up; after F2 with agent, this is what I encountered and continue to encounter.

There are three screens.
The first:

Choose your keyboard layout
I choose US

The Second screen:
Choose an option:
Troubleshoot
Turn off your PC
When I picked the Troubleshoot option it brought me to

3rd Screen:
Advanced Options (6 choices):
System Restore
Go Back to the Previous Version
System Image recovery
Startup Repair
Command Prompt
UEFI Firmare Settings

Most solutions on Google suggested I just Reset computer on Screen 3. That was not an option.

Do you think you can help? Please

lolnole

Proper
Oct 2, 2018
From your earlier post, you stated that the other options did not work. I'm glad you provided me with information on how they did not work. Based on the information, one possibility is disk corruption.

I suggest launching the Command Prompt and executing the following command:

chkdsk /r

OR

chkdsk C: /r

I am still waiting to hear back from Acer on how to do a hard reset on your laptop without having to remove the battery.

queeneileen4

Great
Jan 15, 2019

queeneileen4

Great
Jan 15, 2019
Thanks so much!!!

I had already tried that but I tried it again.

Ran chkdsk /r
Result:
The type of the file system is NTFS. Cannot lock current drive. Windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is write protected.

Ran chkdsk C: /r

It ran for about 40 minutes.
Results:

The type of the file system is NTFS. Volume label is Acer.

Stage 1: examining basic file system structure

File verification complete.
0 bad file records processed

Stage 2: examining file name linkage...
Reparse records and index entries processed
Index verification completed
0 unindexed files scanned or recovered to lost and found
14137 reparse records processed.

Stage 3 Examining security descriptors
Security descriptor verification complete
59749 data files processed
CHKDSK is verifying usn Journal
Usn journal verification completed

Stage 4:
Looking for bad clusters in user file data
File data verification Complete

Stage 5:
Looking for bad, free clusters
Free space verification is complete

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
No further action is required.

4096 in each allocation unit etc.

Failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50

I them closed the window

Brought me back to choose an option:

Troubleshooting
Or Turn off your PC

When I choose Troubleshooting, it brings me to the 6 options.
NONE OF WHICH ARE RESET YOUR COMPUTER.

I cannot access any settings or programs

I so appreciate your trying to help. I have wasted days on the mistake.

lolnole

Proper
Oct 2, 2018
I suggest launching the Command Prompt and execute the following commands:

bootrec /fixmbr

bootrec /fixboot

bootrec /rebuildbcd

bootrec /scanos

If you have already done this or it does not work, then please execute the following command:

bcdedit /v

You will need to find a way to relay the information to me somehow (e.g. picture or video).

lolnole

Proper
Oct 2, 2018
If you use any cloud service (e.g. Google Drive, Dropbox), you can upload the media to the cloud and send me the file link. You can also upload it to an image host (e.g. Imgur). Like the cloud service, you will send me a link. If those options do not work, then let me know and I will figure out some other way.

Status
Not open for further replies.