Acer's 24'' LCD Has 8,000,000:1 Contrast Ratio

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
[citation][nom]Upendra09[/nom]why do the lower end manufacturers come out with better stuff, like dell and acer?[/citation]

heh, they come out with better specs on paper...

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
What's the point of making the display so thin if the base is more fat-bottomed than the girls in a Queen song?
And why can't I find a decent monitor with a REAL 2.5K:1 contrast ratio anymore, instead of dynamic?

G

so what does the contrast ratio mean to average users? Black is darker and white is whiter?
But the brightness is still about the same level as a regular screen (less even).
250cd/m2 is not bright enough to see clearly in daylight, when the sun shines on the monitor!
With these high contrast ratios, and low energy consumption, they would have been better to increase the overall brightness range, so that it's not only useable in a dark room.

jivdis1x

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
Who cares if it doesn't do 1920x1200 at 240hz with 2ms refresh. This thing can do laser eye surgery with that contrast ratio.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]ta152h[/nom]If this monitor causes sexual arousal for you, you're probably demented. Did you just mean "pretty", or "attractive", and misuse the word? Or are you thinking of what you'd normally be watching on it?[/citation]
Yeah, it gives me a stiffy.
[citation][nom]Belardo[/nom]1920x1080? WTF!24" displays should have at least 1920x1200.[/citation]
2048x1152 should be the minimum (best for viewing two web pages at once).
[citation][nom]dimar[/nom]If it's not 120Hz, then I'm not interested. When do we get SYNCMASTER 2233RZ 24 - 25" ????[/citation]
Can you people stop bitching about your 120Hz already?

fooldog01

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2009
[citation][nom]matt87_50[/nom]dynamic contrast is a joke, unless its local dimming.[/citation]

I was just about to say the exact same thing.

g00ey

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
I'm really curious as to how good this contrast thingamajig really is. I mean, if you take something that is totally and absolutely black which means that the illuminance is zilch. Then even a very low level of illuminance will be infinitely stronger than the black level, so the contrast ratio would then be, ...., infinity:1. But that doesn't necessarily mean that it is good, right?

liemfukliang

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2008
I don't care anything in buying LCD unless it has true 24 bit S-IPS panel. I really hate super hi end expensive LCD / LCD TV with TN panel. It mean you are being cheated. All TN Panel is 18 bit. For me it is ok if in the marketting they market TN panel as 18 bit, but I hate today because they lied about this.

g00ey

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
[citation][nom]liemfukliang[/nom]I don't care anything in buying LCD unless it has true 24 bit S-IPS panel. I really hate super hi end expensive LCD / LCD TV with TN panel. It mean you are being cheated. All TN Panel is 18 bit. For me it is ok if in the marketting they market TN panel as 18 bit, but I hate today because they lied about this.[/citation]

I'll sure do what I can to make sure that the next panel I buy is an IPS, preferably H-IPS which I've heard have transparent electrodes. But how about the ###PVA/###MVA panels, are they really that bad? I'm just asking.

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
[citation][nom]jcwhite[/nom]every acer monitor i've had has either stopped working or massed dead/bright pixels, and never enough under their policy to justify a RMA, and judging by the fact this looks like a tn lcd, im probly going to pass[/citation]
I'm the exact opposite. My computer and my brother's both use Acer monitors that don't have any issues whatsoever. Mine's over 4 years old and doesn't have a single dead/stuck pixel.

OvrClkr

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
amdgamer666 you are comparing apples to oranges, if you were smart enough you would know that an OLED is 10 times the price of that Acer display. So of course the OLED would smash the Acer in half...Oled's are more targeted towards the wealthy... Acer targets the budget crowd... Simple as that...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS