Acronis True Image Home 11

hungry_for_info

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2007
Hello, and thank you for taking the time to help me. My problems is I made a image with the new Acronis 11, but when I try to restore the image to disk I get an error saying " The archive is corrupted". I was hoping someone had a quick fix for me...Thx again for your time.

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
I don't think there's much you can do with corrupted files since acronis uses different file system. So it's like trying to extract a corrupted zip files. More likely files are damage. Have you tried Acronis support?
I had same problem before but my files were save to a different computer as well so calling Acronis doesn’t warrant my time.
My experience to corrupted data is when a system failure with Improper Shutdown or deleted files that are link to specific files but most part is improper shutdown.
Problem 1 is when automatic scan drive kick in after emproper shutdown to check drives for errors and try to correct it, doing so might end up to corrupted data.
My solution: Disable disk S.M.A.R.T. when saving that type of a file. And disable or turn off System restore on the drive where that backup files save. I only Enable disk SMART when scanning drives but not repairing ‘till my files are backup.
Someone might tell you otherwise.

Sorry, this is not much of a help of what you’re looking for.

g3l33m

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
This isn't going to help you but it might explain it.
1) Did you verify the backup? If no you should have as you would have know immediately
2) Did you back up to a USB drive or transfer the image there after creating it on your HD? I initially write backups to my HD and then transfer them to an external drive afterwards. I was trying to restore one of them from the backup drive a while ago and got the corrupt message too. WHat it turned out to be in my case was my MB chipset didn't like the external drive chipset and hosed the huge files I was storing on it. Which I had to find out by checking the MD5 checksum on both files. (1 local, 1 external) Got a different external drive enclosure with a different chip on it and now everything works fine. But I still verify all my backups where they were originally created and wherever I move them to before I delete the original.

YMMV

4Ryan6

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002

I had the same problem when I backed up to a USB backup HDD, and did not get the issue resolved, unfortunately for me, I did not find out the files were corrupted until I needed them and then it was too late, resulting in a reinstall and lost data.

By the way, it took forever to get help from Acronis Support, something they seriously need to work on.

My personal suggestion to you for future Acronis use is to simply, directly Clone the HDD to be saved to another Identical HDD, disconnect it from the machine after the cloning process and shelve it, the cloning feature works perfectly in Acronis, its drastic and time consuming measures, but when you're down for the count, and just swap HDDs and you're back in business, its worth all the trouble.

4Ryan6

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002

That explains some of my situation.

Cryogenius

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
I am reading this thread because I have the same Acronis TI problem - my backup operation succeeded but when I read the log it indicates some errors, and I get the "corrupted image" message. I used to have the same difficulties with Norton Ghost 2003 and had to run chkdsk c: /f /r to get a good backup file. Furthermore, I usually had to run chkdsk TWICE. After running the first time look at the event log (COntrol Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer -> Application) under winlogon. You will see the chkdsk log which probably indicates "minor inconsistencies" numbering 30-40 or more if you have not run chkdsk recently. I keep running chkdsk until the minor inconsistencies are less than 10, then I do the backup operation. This archive validates, though I have to admit that I have never fired the RESTORE guns in anger.

I am now in the process of running chkdsk the second time for a TI backup and I will report back.

-DAC

Cryogenius

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
I ran chkdsk twice and had 3 minor inconsistencies, did the back up in Windows and have a "corrupted image" according to the boot cd program. I am now trying a back up with the boot cd. If this does not work then I think I will go back to Norton Ghost 2003. I don't really understand the problem with True Image Home 2009, it worked great for cloning my boot drive but now I can't get a good back up.

Midnightmouse

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009

This may help. I had the same issue with Acronis True Image Home 2009, where backup archives would validate ok but would indicate they were corrupt when I tried to open them. I FIXED the issue by registering the product on the Acronis website so I could download the latest patch for True Home 2009. I downloaded and ran the update and then Acronis worked for new backups and it would even open up the prior archives that were previously reporting as corrupt. Also, I have ran into another issue where my Acronis recovery CD indicated the archive was corrupt, but then I tried another recovery CD that had been created a week later and the archive image restored correctly. Your issues may not be with the archive image but with the Acronis program or recovery CD. I remember Acronis saying to update your recovery CD anytime there is a major change to the system. Daniel.