Active Monitor Speakers OR Amp Plus Passive Monitor Speakers

musclemuffins

Commendable
Feb 4, 2017
I'm looking to upgrade from my trusty Insignia soundbar I've been using for my PC audio. I'm wondering if I'd be better off just getting a pair of active speakers, such as the Edifier R1280T Powered Bookshelf speakers, or an amp and passive speaker duo with an SMSL 36A Pro TPA Amp and Dayton Audio B652 Bookshelf Speakers.

Either setup would be roughly the same cost (~$100), but I'm not sure if there would be a major benefit to do one over the other, or if there are better setups in this price range? Side note, it would be nice to add a decent woofer eventually.

Solution
The advantage of the amp/passive speakers is that it can be upgraded in the future as funds and opportunity become available. You could even upgrade the woofers and tweeters in the speaker cabinets. Parts-Express.com has lots of upgrades for their Dayton speakers. They have some easy to build kits too.
The powered speakers save some space and may sound as good but are a dead end down the road.
The advantage of the amp/passive speakers is that it can be upgraded in the future as funds and opportunity become available. You could even upgrade the woofers and tweeters in the speaker cabinets. Parts-Express.com has lots of upgrades for their Dayton speakers. They have some easy to build kits too.
The powered speakers save some space and may sound as good but are a dead end down the road.

Solution