Ad700x vs Hd598 for gaming

BatNerd

Estimable
Sep 9, 2015
I'll be using this mainly for gaming. Could buy an e10k if needed. Almost same price for me. Which is the better one at gaming and by how much and which is the better one at movies and music and by how much? Does the ad700x really suck at movies and music? Please do help. How important is bass for immersion. Is the hd598 positional accuracy good enough for gaming?

Solution
Heyo BatNerd

It's somewhat hard to compare the 2 headphones like that. There's no real margins on much better one is better than the other. Audio is very subjective so something might sound good to another one, but sound like garbage to another. I'd probably go for the AD700X's myself since I have enjoyed my AD700 more than my HD599's.
As of immersion. Eh bass is needed certainly, but personally I find the mids and highs has to be spot on for me to actually be immersed into it.
When it comes to gaming both headphones are great. Again, I'd probably go for the AD700X's since I have good experiences with the older model. Both have a overall clean sound signature. No super choke points for either, however they're not super at anything...

True Buie

Commendable
Aug 29, 2016
Heyo BatNerd

It's somewhat hard to compare the 2 headphones like that. There's no real margins on much better one is better than the other. Audio is very subjective so something might sound good to another one, but sound like garbage to another. I'd probably go for the AD700X's myself since I have enjoyed my AD700 more than my HD599's.
As of immersion. Eh bass is needed certainly, but personally I find the mids and highs has to be spot on for me to actually be immersed into it.
When it comes to gaming both headphones are great. Again, I'd probably go for the AD700X's since I have good experiences with the older model. Both have a overall clean sound signature. No super choke points for either, however they're not super at anything though. They're both an overall great headphone for their respective prices.

The Fiio would be a nice addition since you'll be getting an actual DAC/amp. Gives cleaner and louder music. Louder isn't clearer though. Keep that in mind.

Cheers

Solution

BatNerd

Estimable
Sep 9, 2015

Definitely going with the ad700x now. Another question? If I get a modmic will it stick to it? I've heard somewhere it doesn't

aajoe

Official Representative
Official Representative
Sep 2, 2017

Sorry for the very late reply on this. The ModMic will stick to the mesh but we recommend taking some extra steps to ensure a good hold. We go over the methods in this video, but basically, heat up the pad a bit and give it extra time to cure with a book (not heavy enough to break your headphones!) or something resting on it overnight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZqV9cjw0RA&t=3s