Add 2nd TV & wireless speakers to Onkyo HT-S5100 7.1 Channel Receiver?

camsic

Prominent
Feb 28, 2017
We have a 7-year old Onkyo HT-S5100 7.1 Channel Home Entertainment System in our living room. We're adding a TV and wireless speakers outside. Can use our existing receiver and connect it to the TV outside and project the sound through the wireless speakers? What do we need to make this happen? Or would we be better off getting an inexpensive AV receiver for outside and connecting the TV and wireless speakers to that? If so, can you recommend one?

Solution
Does the TV have a headphone output? That transmitter doesn't have optical input which is what most TVs have as audio output.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QV77YIC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3M9LKZ5UKEHJ2&tag=tbpre-20
Since BT speakers require batteries or AC power and aren't water resistant I would say none are "outdoor" speakers for permanent installation.
If you want stereo there will need to be a speaker wire between the two speakers but only one BT receiver in the main speaker.
If the speakers are going to be close to the TV you can get an amp with optical input and remote volume control to run wired speakers...
AV receivers are not meant to work with wireless speakers. Trying to involve your living room system makes things complicated and hard to control.
I would add a bluetooth transmitter to the TV and pair the speakers with it. To get stereo you will need a stereo pair not two mono speakers. You will also have to control the volume on the speakers since the audio output of the TV is fixed.
Consider a Sonos Playbar for your TV and maybe a Sonos Connect to the living room for music.

camsic

Prominent
Feb 28, 2017

Ok, that helps! So I will get a bluetooth transmitter. After reading a bit, it seems the TaoTronics Bluetooth Transmitter and Receiver would be a good choice. Do you have stereo pair of speakers you recommend for outdoors?

Does the TV have a headphone output? That transmitter doesn't have optical input which is what most TVs have as audio output.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QV77YIC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3M9LKZ5UKEHJ2&tag=tbpre-20
Since BT speakers require batteries or AC power and aren't water resistant I would say none are "outdoor" speakers for permanent installation.
If you want stereo there will need to be a speaker wire between the two speakers but only one BT receiver in the main speaker.
If the speakers are going to be close to the TV you can get an amp with optical input and remote volume control to run wired speakers.
http://www.parts-express.com/smsl-q5-pro-stereo-amplifier-usb-optical-coaxial-dac-with-subwoofer-output-2x40w--230-210?utm_source=Retail&utm_medium=Email_Newsletter&utm_content=230-210&utm_campaign=email123115
Sonance makes excellent outdoor speakers. Sound good and last a long time.

Solution
I did not check your exact model, but this HT- in the model name means "Home Theater" - a device with very limited I/O capabilities.
You have (at least) two options:
- get an HDMI splitter, so you can feed two TVs in parallel off the HT' HDMI out;
- get brand new receiver with second zone outputs. You'll route cables outside anyway, so you can lay down audio cables next to video ones.