Add another tv to hddvr receiver using a swm splitter

confusednetworker

Estimable
Sep 22, 2014
I'm trying to connect a 2nd tv to directv HDDVR receiver. It has a swm 4 way splitter and only 3 are being used and a LNB power source. I've tried connecting a cable to splitter to 2nd tv without success. What's missing? I know there is another splitter in the attic where the original line comes in from the dish,
I have no idea what size that splitter is, and not sure if it matters in the setup? Can't figure out why I can't make this work...help please.......

Solution
The splitter is for adding additional DTV receivers to your dish not to split the output of one HD-DVR and feed it to a 2nd TV that does not have a DTV box. To do this you would need to split the HDMI output of the HD-DVR and send it to the HDMI input of the 2nd TV. You can do this with an HDMI distribution amplifier (HDMI, CAT6, or wireless types exist). You would also want to be able to control the HD-DVR from that room so make sure that the solution you pick has the ability to receive and send IR.
The splitter is for adding additional DTV receivers to your dish not to split the output of one HD-DVR and feed it to a 2nd TV that does not have a DTV box. To do this you would need to split the HDMI output of the HD-DVR and send it to the HDMI input of the 2nd TV. You can do this with an HDMI distribution amplifier (HDMI, CAT6, or wireless types exist). You would also want to be able to control the HD-DVR from that room so make sure that the solution you pick has the ability to receive and send IR.

Solution

confusednetworker

Estimable
Sep 22, 2014

confusednetworker

Estimable
Sep 22, 2014
thanks for that info. If I can ask you a few more questions before I spend more money..If I can get this tv going, it would only be used maybe 5 times a year..
If I got the additional DTV receiver, can I buy a used one? or do I need to go to DTV to get one, does it require an access card? If I go with the HDMI distribution amp, does that mean I need to run a HDMI cable to the additional TV? Same question if I use CAT6 connection? and if I try the wireless HDMI amp, the tv I'm attempting to add needs to have wireless capability??? Lastly, you mention control of HD-DVR, I don't care if it only gets same channel as original tv, so does this change anything? Thanks for the help...greatly appreciated!!

You can get a used receiver but you do need an access card from Direct TV and will have to pay a monthly charge for the 2nd TV.
HDMI distribution amps come in HDMI or Cat6 outputs. If you use Cat6 there will need to be an adapter to convert that to HDMI at the TV. If you use a wireless then there will be a receiver at the TV.
You cannot get a different channel on the 2nd TV without an additional DTV box.
If you want to be able to change the channels from that room then your HD-DVR remote must either be RF (which some are - check the DVR menu to see if that is an option) or the distribution system must be able to accept an IR receiver at the 2nd TV and an IR emitter at the HD-DVR. This is an example:
http://www.etherealhometheater.com/extender/hdmitmextender-over-cat5e-6.html#!prettyPhoto[pp_gal]/0/

confusednetworker

Estimable
Sep 22, 2014