Solved! Add third HDMI input to TV with only two HDMI ports

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
We have an older LG 50" flat panel. Older as in a 2014 model. It has two HDMI ports. One is being used from our cable box. One is connected to a pc. We recently acquired a new Amazon Fire dongle which we put on our newer Samsung flat panel. We want to move the older Fire box to the LG set. Is there an easy way to "add" an HDMI port to the LG? We don't want to ruin the connectors by repeatedly inserting and removing the connector. I saw mentions of an automatic switch but know nothing about them.
Thank you.

Solution
If your set top cable box has Component outputs, then I'd probably switch to that from HDMI and use the free HDMI port for your firestick.

-Wolf sends

Edit: Another option might be something like this:
LiNKFOR 1080P HDMI to Component Converter

According to the description, you can plug your firestick into the input of the converter and then connect the converter to the Component inputs on your HDTV. I have never used this product and cannot vouch for it's capabilities.
There are HDMI switches that you can purchase, but there may be handshake issues which will require you to either turn the TV off and back on or to remove and reconnect the device to the switch. What is the model number of the LG TV? Does your cable box have a five cable component output?

-Wolf sends

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If your set top cable box has Component outputs, then I'd probably switch to that from HDMI and use the free HDMI port for your firestick.

-Wolf sends

Edit: Another option might be something like this:
LiNKFOR 1080P HDMI to Component Converter

According to the description, you can plug your firestick into the input of the converter and then connect the converter to the Component inputs on your HDTV. I have never used this product and cannot vouch for it's capabilities.

Solution

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Nope. RCA audio + TOSLink and HDMI video. Spectrum 200 set top. Another example of some techie insisting on only the bleeding edge than compatibility with 90% of user base. Thanks for the idea.