Adding 2nd Hard drive to Toshiba Satellite A350-20S in the Secondary Drive Bay

AnnieB2015

Estimable
Mar 23, 2015
I have a Toshiba Satellite A350-20S. This comes with a Primary hard drive bay and a Secondary hard drive bay, as well as the CD/DVD drive bay. I have just upgraded to a 500GB HDD from a 320GB HDD. The drive that fits the Toshiba is a SATA 15pin + 7 pin. I was thinking of either
(a) fitting the old drive in the Secondary drive bay as extra storage or (b) selling it on eBay.

If I use it, I will have to buy a additional drive enclosure for the old drive as I had to remove and resuse the old enclosure on the new drive before fitting it.

When I look in the Secondary drive bay, it does not look exactly like the primary one. There are no drive connectors, the bay is more shallow and there appears to be nowhere to screw the drive into.

My questions are these - can a second drive be fitted to this model? What additional components (other than the drive enclosure i.e. the metal protective back) do I need?

Thanks guys and girls

Annie

You can upload what you have to a file/image hosting site, such as imgur.com or tinyupload.com, then post the link to your image(s) here.

AnnieB2015

Estimable
Mar 23, 2015
Thank you! Please see photos on these links:

Position of Secondary Drive Bay:

Secondary Drive Bay view inside:

Position of Primary Drive Bay:
QWomk8b.jpg

Primary HDD fitted:
XFtQ1Ft.jpg

There are 7 pin + 15 pin copper connection strips at the base of the 2nd drive bay. The drive I took out of the Primary drive bay and the one I replaced it with both use the same type of connections.

Thanks for your help :)

Update 31st March 2015
Was unable to find a solution to this problem, so I have wiped the hard drive that I took out of the machine and put it into an external USB enclosure for use as storage. Shame really, since there is space in the laptop for something, although I am not sure what device! Even the manual doesn't indicate there is a space for a device there (and there clearly is).