How to format a new blank hard drive without a disk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 19, 2019
I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop that had a hard drive failure. I purchased a replacement that is blank. It has no operating system and has not been pre formatted. This PC did not come with a installation disc. I don't have a recovery drive for it either. I have the Windows Media Creation Tool with the downloaded image file. The media creation tool appears to be unable to work until after the replacement drive is partitioned and formatted. With no operating system on the new drive the W10 computer management does not exist. How can I format the new hard drive to get the Creation Tool too work and install W10 on it. Tnx

USAFRet

Illustrious
How did you use the MediaCreation tool?
On a different working PC, you need to download the exe, and run that to create a bootable USB or DVD.

Then, in the laptop, you boot from that and install.
The install process will do all the necessary partitioning and formatting of the drive.

Jan 19, 2019
Yes the media creation tool was downloaded on a different pc. It was then opened on that PC and the resultant program ended up on a USB thumb drive. The USB drive was attempted to install the replacement drive. It was good to learn that the MCT did the partitioning and formatting of the new drive. When attempting the recovery from the MCT the PC displayed the message "Checking Media - Fail". As an experiment I reinstalled the old tempermental hard drive and did not get the fail message. This recovery was a success. I now suspect that the new hard drive is defective as the question of formatting it prior to recovery is now a moot point. Do you agree that the new hard drive is likely defective? Thanks for your assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.