skai46

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012
Hey everyone. Recently I purchased a Sony BRAVIA off of amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003B8VBJ2/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The speakers are connected with speaker wire that came with the package but I was wondering if it would be possible to add another subwoofer to the system by connecting it with a coaxial plug? I'm not using the coaxial output for anything else and I thought that would be a pretty good use for it considering the system is slightly lacking in as much bass as I want.

Thanks for your advice.

Solution
Yeah you just take the high voltage signal from that Sony sub cable and put in into one of the high voltage input, the signal is probably already cut <150-200 Hz fpr the Sony sub by a crossover inside the amplifier, so its as simple as that. But putting a second Woofer other brand is a bad idea since the bass will not be the same from both sources so the effect is hardly predictable, you can tweak it with phase shifter but 0/180 option is not enough (you can do that with switching cable positions LOL). Most likely using more powerful woofer will be enough and you wont use that one so there will be no weird resonances

MagicPants

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
Nope on the Sony BRAVIA DAV-DZ170 the coaxial plug is for audio in only (it's an input not an output). You could however look for a powered sub that uses speaker level inputs and pass through the left and right front channels.

something like this:

rearconnect900.jpg

Though sony uses weird plugs in their systems, so you'd have to be okay with stripping a few wires.

Ra_V_en

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
Yeah you just take the high voltage signal from that Sony sub cable and put in into one of the high voltage input, the signal is probably already cut <150-200 Hz fpr the Sony sub by a crossover inside the amplifier, so its as simple as that. But putting a second Woofer other brand is a bad idea since the bass will not be the same from both sources so the effect is hardly predictable, you can tweak it with phase shifter but 0/180 option is not enough (you can do that with switching cable positions LOL). Most likely using more powerful woofer will be enough and you wont use that one so there will be no weird resonances

Solution
Ra-V-en is correct. Running 2 non identical subs is bad news. You could do it however by connecting a speaker to line level adapter like this
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142LOC80/Scosche-LOC80.html
to the speaker level inputs on the Sony sub and connect a self powered sub to that connection. It would sound better if you just use the same adapter to connect the better sub to the HTib rather than try to augment the one that came with it