Adobe Creative Suite Users Get Nvidia Present

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

As i understood it work using OpenGL and not CUDA, and works fine with ATI cards

kansur0

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
I have also read that ATI cards will accelerate Adobe apps. It would be nice if there was some sort of review to actually reveal completely how both cards perform under all the different Adobe apps. I have been scouring the internet for answers to this and all I get is nVidia. I also can't believe that ATI is dropping the ball on what is going to be a huge market. This news is seriously making me thing of completely abandoning my ATI HD3870 and buying any card that will accelerate my Adobe apps.

TOMS...and article on EXACTLY how this tech works and if any ATI cards will do the same as nVidia solutions?

mundungus

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
Adobe has touted GPU Acceleration for the last 2 versions of Premiere Pro CSx with very little information about actual benefits and a perpetually outdated lists of supported cards. CS4 has been released and Adobe still has not listed supported cards in their compatability charts.

Over the last two years I have searched extensively for more information, comparisons between GPU setups, or real world demonstrations and all I've really found were the same two paragraph marketing blurbs they came out with Premiere Pro 2.0.

2k$ buys several different realtime capture cards that REALLY cut down on render times and speed up workflow. Nvidia better put together a balls out demo and show where a quadro card makes world of difference.

For now, I'm not buying it.

G

Yes, ATI said any 3xxx and 4xxx will accelerate CS4 app and kansur0 wait before changing to nVidia. Ati said all CS4 apps will work with 3xxx and 4xxx cards and I've searched for nVidia and photoshop will support geforce's but otherwise quadro does but geforce it's not so clear.

Don't understand why ATI is so silent, they said it: "ATI HD 4000 series might definitely sell well in this video editing market, as you pay a fraction of the price of Quadro and still get the acceleration. It will be fun to compare Nvidia vs. ATI on this particular application set"

kansur0

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
I think TOMS needs to step up to the plate and end this confusion once and for all. Take the full Adobe Suite and four video cards...two comparible workstation cards and two comparible desktop cards and make a comparison matrix as well as benchmark numbers.

ATI FirePro V8700
nVidia Quadro 5600

ATI HD4870
nVidia GeForce GTX280

TOMS...let's get this done!!!

kschoche

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2007
[citation][nom]kansur0[/nom]I think TOMS needs to step up to the plate and end this confusion once and for all. Take the full Adobe Suite and four video cards...two comparible workstation cards and two comparible desktop cards and make a comparison matrix as well as benchmark numbers.ATI FirePro V8700nVidia Quadro 5600ATI HD4870nVidia GeForce GTX280TOMS...let's get this done!!![/citation]

But.... thats not a real workload. Encoding the Terminator 2 SE soundtrack is!

Also, who the hell sells an OpenGL card by touting it's dx10 support?

Chuck Norris

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008
"Users of Adobe’s Creative Suite 4 will finally get huge performance boost while manipulating video thanks to Nvidia’s new Quadro CX GPU."
I'm a little confused. Will the 9 and 8 series cards from nvidia not work?

mundungus

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
It is not as simple as which cards ( or Technology : ie CGPU, CUDA, OpenGL 2.x, Elemental Bada-Boom\RapiHD Accelerator ) will CS4 support. They're stating different requirements for GPU Acceleration in Photoshop, Premiere Pro, and After Effects. And it's looking like only a Quadro will cover all the technologies coming out of the gate. But again I emphasize that they haven't put out enough info to help anyone choose(or decide against) a new card yet.

After my first post I searched adobe's site again for specs and benefits of CGPU choices in Premiere Pro CS4 and again found that they have still not updated their tested cards from version CS3, and most of those cards are aged 2 years or more.

Shouldn't the testing and validating be done prior to the release of a product if they are claiming the goose poops gold nuggets? They should have a list of cards, chipsets and motherboards that ring the cherries. That's what every hardware vendor supplying 3rd party tools does ( Nvidia not included )

From my own experience putting together Adobe based edit stations over the last five years I can state that only intel chipsets are a sure bet with Premiere. I've worked with two systems, one with a Nvidia chipset and one with an AMD\ATI chipset, that both would have overlay issues and crash often. The NForce system would even have stuttered playback and have DV stream dropouts while editing. After way too much time trouble shooting I found that I needed to turn off GPU acceleration all together to make the systems behave. Both cases were working with the CS2 suite. I would not try to make an absolute case against amd processor solutions because I also work with an Opteron system (2x dual cores, Pre Barcelona) that works beautifully. Oddly enough that system has an expensive Fire GL card that has issues with After Effects.

So it's the lack of information that is my issue with both adobe and Nvidia. There has been more damn marketing articles splashed all over the DCC and computing sites but no clear specifications or benefits of one gpu over another spelled out.

I see I'm writing in circles now. It reminds me of searching for info at the Adobe site. F' those guys for giving me a headache.

mundungus

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
Hey Hey, Progress at the Adobe site. One can now use their Third-party hardware compatibility pull down menu tool for Premiere Pro to select a combination of Premiere Pro version: CS4
and Type of hardware: Graphic Cards. Unfortunately there aren't any cards the match as of this morning, but it is progress.

AT Nvidia they are mostlty boasting that the Quadro CX speeds up H264 rendering and a lots of professional monitor configuration options, However 2K$ does not unclude the SDI port and plug-in.

G

Dave Helmly, senior business development manager DV/DI at Adobe, gave an enthusiastic demo of how NVIDIA’s Quadro CX graphics board works with Adobe’s CS4 Production Premium software in his DAVTechTable feature on AdobeTV; you can check it out at http://tv.adobe.com/#vi+f1510v1002.

G

Dave Helmly, senior business development manager DV/DI at Adobe, gave an enthusiastic demo of how NVIDIA’s Quadro CX graphics board works with Adobe’s CS4 Production Premium software in his DAVTechTable feature on AdobeTV; you can check it out at http://tv.adobe.com/#vi+f1510v1002.

G

NVIDIA just added a new Performance Page to its website, showing the actual data for a blu-ray video encoding project using Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 and Quadro CX – resulting in an approximate seven-and-a-half hour speed-up. Check it out at http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_62559.html.

Status
Not open for further replies.