Adobe Halting Development on Flash Player Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
wow, admirable... i guess that is how you can stay at the top, by being flexible even if that means dropping your own product...

BWMerlin

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
I can't wait for the day that computers no longer require flash player. Will make things so much easier and more stable.

G

think its fair to call flash the single worst piece of mass market software in the history of computing.

It long ago took the crown my our old favorite, Realmedia player. Those were the days....

nukemaster

Distinguished
Maybe it was just me, but I never ran into any real issues with flash. It "was" a cpu hog at one time, but those days are far gone. As for security, well anyone with common sense does not have those issues either.

I do like the plugin free nature of HTML5, but they seems to be very fractured. some features only work on chrome or IE or FF ect. They need to ALL work on all browsers. Flash DID have that going for it. As a plugin, it worked on all browsers.

_Cubase_

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
For us web developers, we already steered clear of flash when developing sites that needed to run on mobile devices anyway. So in essence, nothing has really changed... Adobe just took out an option any sane Web Developer already avoided.

croc

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2005
Flash was the worst thing ever... ...except for an HTML 5 powered web, controlled by Apple... Be careful what you wish for.

G

Dropping Flash is a good idea, it is eating away battery charge like a Humvee drinking gasoline.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
[citation][nom]_Cubase_[/nom]For us web developers, we already steered clear of flash when developing sites that needed to run on mobile devices anyway. So in essence, nothing has really changed... Adobe just took out an option any sane Web Developer already avoided.[/citation]
I understand, but I hate the way sites force me to mobile pages because of my device user agent. Sometimes I WANT desktop browsing from my mobile device.

Usersname

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]croc[/nom]Flash was the worst thing ever... ...except for an HTML 5 powered web, controlled by Apple... Be careful what you wish for.[/citation]Apple does not, will not, cannot control HTML5...Where do you people get these utterly rubbish notions from?
MS is the biggest control freak in the PC world

Usersname

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]mrmike_49[/nom]Now if they'd only stop Flash for pc!!![/citation] It is acceptable on the Desktop as PC's have the power required to run the donkey. It is its anachronism and increasing irrelevance which will seal the fate of Flash.

Usersname

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]croc[/nom]Poor, misguided fool...http://html5.tmcnet.com/topics/htm [...] atents.htm[/citation]You are too harsh on yourself.
I seriously doubt Apple will push to enforce patents it filed for before becoming a member of W3C consortium; A Patent Advisory Group is always invoked as an arbitrator for W3C members.

croc

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2005
[citation][nom]usersname[/nom]You are too harsh on yourself.I seriously doubt Apple will push to enforce patents it filed for before becoming a member of W3C consortium; A Patent Advisory Group is always invoked as an arbitrator for W3C members.[/citation]

You DID look at the date of the article I linked, right? July, this year, right? And you did note that the W3C is asking world and dog for prior art to try to invalidate the patents, right? Sounds like Apple will REALLY abide by the W3C arbitrators, right?

You poor dear... Apple will be only too happy to take your soul, for it seems that they already have your mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.