Adobe Launches 64-Bit Flash Player ''Preview''

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
I guess it would be nice to test and see if it is faster. Flash has really gotten bad recently and with embeded hardware acceleration in IE9/FF4, it might not be as useful.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
In test i've done on windows 7 64bit the optimizations aren't quite there compared to the 32bit in terms of speed for IE9. 64 bit doesn't mean after it just means more memory space which i guess the people who open 80 tabs at once of all youtube vids would like.

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
[citation][nom]IzzyCraft[/nom]In test i've done on windows 7 64bit the optimizations aren't quite there compared to the 32bit in terms of speed for IE9. 64 bit doesn't mean after it just means more memory space which i guess the people who open 80 tabs at once of all youtube vids would like.[/citation]
64 bit will run slightly faster, since it's the processor's native code. You also have to remember that this means people can finally use a 64 bit browser, with 64 bit plug ins, etc. So it adds up.

Of course, will the majority or 64 bit users see any benefit? Most machines I've seen using 64 bit are plenty fast anyway...

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
They also released an x86 beta marked with the version number 10.2.161.22.
But wow, I can actually run Minefield x64 with Flash and Java support! And it really works with the (admittedly limited) Flash content I've tested. Now, make x64 Silverlight and Shockwave and I'm ready to switch entirely.

kancaras

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
its running just fine with my ff4 beta7pre. finaly all-64bits browsing. dont know anything about speed but it runs pretty smooth. exept for a few errors i got after playing some simultaneous vids.
btw i hate all that fuzz about speed speed speed tests tests tests. ff ftw and thats it.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
[citation][nom]calmstateofmind[/nom]is it really that major to release a preview of flash? just get it all done and then give it to me.[/citation]
http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer10/

I really dislike being unable to edit my posts on this side my one typo of after instead of faster mocks me!

Also my stance is still valid, code optimizations aren't quite there in mots 64 bit versions of an originally 32bit program or at least most payed attention to as a 32 bit program.
IE9 in sunspider javascript bench gets 300ms~ in 32bit and 800~ms in 64bit on my computer
Assuming that adobe would even code their 64bit version with any care is to assume they really don't like html5

enzo matrix

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
[citation][nom]calmstateofmind[/nom]is it really that major to release a preview of flash? just get it all done and then give it to me.[/citation]
no one is forcing you to beta test it. Also, based on your comment, you obviously have no idea of the use or importance of beta testing.

ethaniel

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2005
Microsoft forced their hand with the IE9 beta with 64-bit support. If it wasn't for that, we would still be waiting for it. And yes, the preview crashes a lot.

waethorn

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Is there any way to utilize 64-bit memory addressing to allow for fewer security vulnerabilities? Can Flash do it's own form of 64-bit ASLR for web apps so that we don't have all these zero-day hacks and the pursuing patch frenzy?

fenixkane

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
Well on my 64bit Linux box this fixes a few flash crashes I was having related to some video embedded ads. Still a few issues that haven't been fixed though. All in all an improvement is an improvement.

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
[citation][nom]IzzyCraft[/nom]In test i've done on windows 7 64bit the optimizations aren't quite there compared to the 32bit in terms of speed for IE9. 64 bit doesn't mean after it just means more memory space which i guess the people who open 80 tabs at once of all youtube vids would like.[/citation]
LOL you really don't understand 64 bit if you think more memory space is the only benefit.

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
[citation][nom]Enzo Matrix[/nom]no one is forcing you to beta test it. Also, based on your comment, you obviously have no idea of the use or importance of beta testing.[/citation]
And neither do you, apparently. A software tester is a paid full-time position. Why are you going to perform this function for free, for a large for-profit corporation?? For an open-source project, yes, it makes sense to be a community volunteer. But for a large corporation? No thanks.

kelfen

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
wow this is a milestone adobe just lazy should have had 64bit flash along time ago but it is better than never!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.