Adobe Launching Creative Suite 5 Next Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

kresso

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
The Mercury Engine for Nvidia-based GPU has been tearing be between choosing Nvidia or AMD. Oh, gaming or productivity which is more important!

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Finally!!!, I have been waiting for this release. I have Adobe Photoshop CS3, and now I can finally upgrade to a GPU accelerated 64-bit version of Photoshop. I can... WORK WITH 8192 res textuires!!!

Chris_TC

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
[citation][nom]dman3k[/nom]Why just CUDA and not OpenCL which is just as good as CUDA?[/citation]
While AMD will tell you that they're all for open standards and push OpenCL, the sad truth is that the company representatives will remain shut when you ask them about the real status of their OpenCL API - especially if you quote them a lead developer from a AAA software company with 10x more employees than AMD themselves that goes something like this: "I struggled to even get ATI's beta drivers installed and working, it was just problem after problem. Maybe once ATI gets their drivers out of beta and actually allow you to install them then I will have some performance numbers. I mean at this point AMD is so far behind in development tools they are not even worth pursuing right now."
http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2009/12/14/adobes-mercury-playback-engine-for-cs5-is-cuda-only!.aspx

-------------------

Question: "Why didn't you use OpenCL then?"

Answer: OpenCL wasn't finished or ratified when this decision was made. Given a choice between doing it with CUDA or not doing it for a while because of OpenCL, we chose the former. Besides, as I mentioned, NVIDIA has a hugely dominant market share in the professional graphics market, so we think that most people will be comfortable with the options available to them.
http://blogs.adobe.com/genesisproject/2009/11/technology_sneek_peek_adobe_me.html

rage machine

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I am really happy about this. Mainly because whenever i go to use Chroma Key in premier under the current version (32 bit) it crashes. I looked online all over but no solutions worked, hopefully this will fix it.

On that note, they need to stop bulking useless items with it. I payed for a creative package not adobe drive, adobe air, adobe bridge, etc etc.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
64bit only support from Adobe? Irony! Somewhat irritating to see too given how long people have been asking for 64 bit flash for windows and mac.

CBaca

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
So does this mean if I have an ATI GPU that I will not get the benefit of the parallel processing? Maybe I should hang onto CS3 for a little while longer.

SpadeM

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]Adobe's next inefficient resource hog is almost ready.[/citation]
If it's anything like cs4 I'll pass.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
[citation][nom]kresso[/nom]The Mercury Engine for Nvidia-based GPU has been tearing be between choosing Nvidia or AMD. Oh, gaming or productivity which is more important![/citation]

OpenCL/ATI Stream support is apparently coming end of ths year, plus AMD are beta-testing Stream-enabled encoders for Premiere CS4, so I'd say that answers your question!

mauller07

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
64 bit native premiere pro and media encoder will be a massive boost to productivity especially when working with 1080p and 2160p video :D

plus if flash pro is going 64 bit as i think they stated the entire software sweet will be then will they please finally release a 64bit flash + schockwave player, even java has 64 bit support already, seriously adobe

IncinX

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2006
[citation][nom]andboomer[/nom]But more importantly: when will the torrents have it?[/citation]

Really guys? I have read comments on Tom's for quite sometime and I believed some people have respect for commercial software.

I'll admit Adobe CS5 will probably be over $1000, but if you can't afford it there are plenty of great open source applications out there like Gimp.

It's comments like this, and the thumbs up that they get that discourage people from being software developers. I will probably get thumbs downed for this, but some companies deserve commercial support and open source companies deserve some faith.

IncinX

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2006
^

Just to add on my previous post. It is like ATI or NVidia releasing a new graphics card with cool new features like Eyefinity and saying "I can't wait to steal it" or "I can't wait to get it on the black market".

Don't believe it is similar at all? Software and hardware both take a considerable amount of investment of money and time. Both require engineers to make, qa to test and marketing to sell. It is just that hardware needs to be purchased at a store with someone watching you. Software is just so easy to steal and most people do it so the trend continues.

To be a little lighthearted, how many of you would Torrent an ATI 5xxx graphics card if you could. Be honest =)

Status
Not open for further replies.