Adobe Working on Flash to HTML5 Converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
I'm not sure if this is to kill flash or to make sure people still use their flash to make their games and movies but just end up exporting it to html5. Either way i can't help but notice he is wearing a yellow psh he thinks he's command post worthy.

G

Offtopic, at the end of the video, is that guy wearing a Star Trek uni? :p

And this app looks promising. Hopefully we [web devs] get to mess around with it soon. I know I wanted to convert some of my work to HTML5 but was too lazy to..

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
lol... no, apple will not be happy.

assuming that HTML5 is half as functional as flash...

this means apple's worst nightmare...

free flash games sights being converted instantly to free HTML5 games sites.

basically meaning, all of those free flash games will be coming to your iDevice, uncensored, through your web browser!

lets see Apple talk their way out of this one!

oh... and apple's "we don't like Flash because it crashes all the time" excuse... what a Joke thats gonna look like! when all of the equally poor coded, equally crashy flash stuff gets transferred to html5, bugs and all!

...or...

we will find html5 isn't nearly as feature rich as flash, and that games can't be made in it to the extent of flash (which EASILY competes with the quality of most stuff on the app store), and apple will have nothing to worry about.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Well flash is bad because it's adobe controlled and is patched slowly. It's like activex vs java applets from ff or any other browser it's not easily that activex is any less secure then java applets it's just that ff pretty much controls and approves of all add-ons before they are released and it's not like people go okay i'll install this add on from this 3rd party website. HTML5 flaws will be in the browsers that support them.

G

It looks like this article is missing a ton of context. Basically, an Adobe sneak peek is simply something they're experimenting with. It may or may not make it into a product. In this case, the guy who presented wasn't an Adobe employee, so this isn't an Adobe idea. Lastly, it couldn't convert entire applications. It could only convert animation. Nobody's trying to kill flash. All the zealots can again please sit down.

phatboe

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
to all you people who keep talking about flash games and apps. This will not convert apps and games to html5 it will only convert flash animations to html5. So no this will not crash your computer.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Blessedman[/nom]so we could see flash eventually turn into a development studio for htlm5[/citation]
That's my guess for where Adobe is eventually heading.

G

Warms my heart to see Adobe moving in the right direction. What would make me happier is if Adobe decided to compete yet again by making something better than resource gobber flash and HTML5 because it would drive HTML6 to be way more functional.

orionantares

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
[citation][nom]phatboe[/nom]to all you people who keep talking about flash games and apps. This will not convert apps and games to html5 it will only convert flash animations to html5. So no this will not crash your computer.[/citation]

Ironic thing about this is that most likely what will end up being converted first will be Flash based ads.

So now all those iOS web surfs can get the full benefit of the "punch the monkey" without having to plug-in flash!

tu_illegalamigo

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010
[citation][nom]orionantares[/nom]Ironic thing about this is that most likely what will end up being converted first will be Flash based ads. So now all those iOS web surfs can get the full benefit of the "punch the monkey" without having to plug-in flash![/citation]

+99999
Everyone deserves to punch the monkey, or George Bush, or shoot the target or whatever.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]tu_illegalamigo[/nom]+99999Everyone deserves to punch the monkey, or George Bush, or shoot the target or whatever.[/citation]
You don't punch George, you throw the shoe at him, haven't you been paying attention?!?!?

i_like_pie

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
I attended that event, that was at the annual adobe max conference in Los Angeles. Essentially 3 days worth of learning sessions and sneak peeks from tech companies. Lots of vendors and a look into the future of computing. Some great information at the event. For developers, it is becoming a daunting task trying to keep up with all the available platforms (desktop, phones, tablets, now TV). So, you def want to build an app that will work on all these different screen sizes/platforms.

Anyways, he was dressed in trek gear because they were supposed to have Leonard Nimoy as a keynoter, but he was ill, so we got Shatner! He was hilarious!! That's why some of the adobe employees were in star trek gear. And yes, he was demonstrating a tool that will convert flash animation into html5. Pretty neat. They had samsung's galaxy tab running flash/air flawlessly as well as the blackberry playbook also using air and demonstrated it's HD media playback capabilities. Flash is not dead by any means. Google recently partnered with adobe to help develop google tv. It looks great.

All in all, it was a cool event. Every attendee (if you attended all 3 days) received a Droid phone to develop on, and the new logitech google tv box. Best adobe event yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.