Advice on what laptop for parent

HomeGrownHeroz

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
Hi there,

My Dad needs a new laptop and has asked me to help him pick one but I'm not really sure on what to recommend. He generally only uses it for casual browsing and doing his invoices. My main concerns will be the overall speed that it runs. It needs to be fast and not slow down any time soon. I've tried showing him chromebooks but hes familiar with Windows so that's what he wants.

Can someone recommend what laptops are good value for money (and why). I think he's budget will stretch to £400+ but if its only for browsing and general use, this seems quite steep to me? Although ideally we want it to last a good few years.

Thanks

Sam

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010

HomeGrownHeroz

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009

That looks quite good. Thanks for that link. The only concern I have is, are i3's still good enough to rely on (long-ish term). I've seen i5 models around the £400 mark. Are they worth the difference in terms of speed and last-ability?

EDIT. Ive also just noticed it says 8gb in the description but 4gb ram in the specs. Is that correct?

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
here is the info on that cpu.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i3-4005U-Notebook-Processor.102733.0.html

for what your father does that i3 would be more then enough to last him a long time besides you really aren't going to find anything better in that price range then that new. the core i5 and core i3 models in the mobile category aren't separated by much diff. they are both dual core with hyper threading cpu's. core i5 mobile will have an instruction set here or there that the core i3 might not have and maybe a slight bump in clock speed but that's pretty much about it, nothing that your father will ever notice. amazon might have screwed up it might come with 4gb of ram, but seeing as your father just browses the web and does typical everyday things then 4gb of ram will be enough. he can always upgrade later on to 8gb or more if he needs to but I doubt he will need to considering he doesn't do anything on his pc that requires 8gb of ram to do.