ADVICE: Upgrading GPU on Acer Aspire 7736G

Loader

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
Hi there,

I am thinking of upgrading the GPU on my Acer Aspire 7736G but I am not really sure what to upgrade to...

The current GPU is a GeForce G210M. I want something that will be able to cope well (20-30 FPS medium/high graphics) with games such as SW:TOR and cope reasonably well (20-30 FPS low/medium gfx) on games such as BF3/Skyrim. The current GPU struggles on SW:TOR even windowed mode at 800x600 with everything low!

So, what would you recommend would be a good upgrade for me, and does anyone have any good "upgrade GPU for Acer guides" to hand?

Will there be any compatability issues?

My budget is upto £200.

Many thanks and Merry Christmas,

James

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Typically, unless you spend a sizable amount of money, the GPU on laptops are integrated into the motherboard (or CPU, if its new enough). Which means no GPU upgrades are possible. If you want something better, you're pretty much looking at a brand new laptop/system. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Loader

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
Thanks for the reply.

Would you recommend OC using EVGA Precision? Or will this make little difference..

I bought SW:TOR yesterday thinking, stupidly, it would have the same requirements as WoW. It runs at 7-10 FPS on the lowest settings possible at 800x600! Makes me very sad...

If there is no way around the problem, I will have to persuade the missus to let me buy a PC :/

G

Hi,

I have the same laptop as you and i play SW:TOR with an average of 20 - 30 fps even more duting space battles. What i would recommend is actuall turning the graphics to medium where possible and low where not. turn the shadows and bloom off. have v-sync on. SW plays better on a higher res so i stick with recommended resolution. set the grass and trees to 50% also. now i also have a 2gb usb stick which i use to readyboost my system and i use a piece of freeware called game booster to shut down background programs and processes not needed for games.

If you try the settings like that then you should have a very smooth running SWTOR :)

hope that helps