Richard Adams

Honorable
Jul 30, 2013
Did you ever wish there was a database showing Vegas 12 speed with various CPU/GPU options in actual use?

Data for this is currently sparse and typically not helpful to make a specific upgrade decision.

I'm building this tabulation, and would appreciate that all Vegas 12 users volunteer to help.

Objective: Users apply the resulting tabulation to predict performance before upgrading
Project: Generate a table of CPU / GPU performance with Vegas 12, scientificly from many users

Vegas 12 users - here's your chance to help others, and compare your results.

Every Vegas 12 User's measurement is important, from the most modest, to the fastest and most radical hardware.

This simple project takes as little as ten minutes.

Who has the fastest render time???

I am not affiliated with any vendor of hardware or software specified to be used in this benchmarking.

Vendors are encouraged to help and be included in the tabulation. Which CPU and graphics cards work well together, at the various price points?

Everyone is encouraged to be accurate. This is science.

Summary of steps for all those helping

Use Vegas 12 with the 117MB test file I provide
    Run a particular "Render As" from the Vegas 12 File drop down menu.
    Vegas provides a built in "Elapsed time" readout, making the benchmark simple. No stopwatch is needed.
    Share your results, privately or publicly, including info of your CPU / GPU / Video card
    I will tabulate and post the results
    The exact procedure is shown below

Privacy - You can "privately message" me with questions or results, or post them here publicly. I will not release any details about the "persons" that shared these results with me that did not also post them in the forum, but I will post the results in the tabulation unless you tell me not to. I will not contact you except to personally thank you and for a follow up question about your results, if needed.

The data will be collected and tabulated for a relatively short period of time, so get your results to me promptly.

Important - Use only my test file and only the specific "render" shown in the next post. Doing it this way results in scientific investigation which makes sense.

I'm also interested in tests done each possible way for your system

• ■Using CPU based accelerator if applicable
    ■Using your plug in PCIe graphics card
    ■With PCIe graphics card pluged in and not enabled for Vegas
    ■Without any Graphics card plugged in, using on board/chip Graphics.
    ■OR instead of unplugging graphics card, see my August 15th post below to temporarily disable the driver, this has the same effect as unplugging the GPU and gives different and sometimes faster results.

I have seen systems where (4) above is faster than (3). Computers and software have no end of surprises. Some CPUs may do the render faster than the graphics card. It is understood that using a different approach may change the image quality slightly, even with the same render settings. You may use any configuration of hardware to do the measurement, provided they use Vegas 12 build 670 or later, use my test file, and also use the specific render listed.

If you have something non-standard, by all means let me know in your test results. This includes anything you want to tell me about, such as fast memory, Overclocking of CPU or GPU, water cooling, etc.

About the file I provided:
- It's from my Sony TD10 3D camcorder, containting a slow pan of memorabilia with background piano music from Strauss. It's a clip of about 30 seconds in 3D mode resulting in a 117MB file.

About the the "Render" method chosen - this is the same MVC H264 method used by Vegas to produce a bluray disk, but exludes the audio and iso building part of the process. The video encoding is the most time intensive part. Other effects aren't included.

Here's the procedure to collect the benchmark for your own system

Note: I'm doing the tabulation of results. You only need to send me your particular results.

Even if you think you already know how, please following these instructions,

1. ■Download and unzip test file from link below. The unzipped file is named "Adams_V12_BMF.m2ts"
    Here is the link for the test file which is a 117MB zip file:
    http://st7.us/bf1.zip
    ■Have Sony Vegas 12 installed and updated, preferred build is 670
    ■If you have DVD Architect, that should be installed
    ■Close all other applications and programs
    ■Open sony vegas
    ■Do the following:"
    > FILE - Drop down
    > NEW
    > In the "New Project" selection window
    > Select Template "HD 1080-60i (1920x1080, 29.970 fps)
    > Select Stereoscopic 3D mode: Anaglyphic (red/cyan)
    > Press OK (to complete the new project selection)

> FILE - Drop down
    > OPEN
    open the downloaded test file named "Adams_V12_BMF.m2ts"

> FILE - Drop down
    > Render As...
    In the "Render As" Select "output format"
    > Sony AVC/MVC (*.mp4, *.m2ts, *.avc)
    > MVC 1920x1080-24p, 25Mbps video stream

Make sure you picked the "Sony AVC/MPC" not another
    > Press the Render button
    > Enter a location for the resulting file, or use default
    The resulting files size is about 62MB

When the task finishes, the "Approximate time left" will be 0, and the "Elapsed time" will show the minutes and seconds that your machine took to do the job.

Write down the minutes and seconds to report back to me with the following.

Please approximate the following form info.

Partiulcar "system information" about you system can be found by typing "info" in the widows start menu search bar, and then click on "system information"

Date: ___________
Time: ___________
(From System Summary)
OS Name: ___________
Version: ___________
System Manufacturer: ______________
System Model: _____________
System type: ______________
Processor: ________________
Installed Physical memory: _______________

(From Components > Display)
Adapter Description: ________________
Adapter Ram: ________________
Driver Version: ________________

In Sony Vegas 12
> Help - drop down
> About Vegas Pro
Read where it says "Version 12.0"
Provide Build number such as "670" _____________

In Sony Vegas 12
> Options drop down
> Preferences
> Video (Tab)
> GPU acceleration of video processing: ___________
(read out your current selection)

Render time (Elapsed time for Render) : ________________

Size of your result file in exact bytes for verification: __________________

Any other helpful comments about your system such as overclocking speed or if this is a home built system you can provide your motherboard make and model number and particular memory used.

You may do the test several times to see if your results are consistent.

• I'm also interested in tests done each possible way for your system
    ■Using CPU based accelerator if applicable
    ■Using your plug in PCIe graphics card
    ■With PCIe graphics card pluged in and not enabled for Vegas
    ■Without any Graphics card plugged in, using on board/chip Graphics, if applicable
    ■OR instead of unplugging graphics card, see my August 15th post below to temporarily disable the driver, this has the same effect as unplugging the GPU and gives different and sometimes faster results.

Note: If you change the "GPU selection" in Vegas, please exit Vegas and and restart Vegas for the new selection to take effect.

Thanks in advance for contributing promptly.

vojt

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013
why gpu not speed up?

this is my four test setup with 1 pass....

Date: _____08/14/2013______
Time: ________3:30___
(From System Summary)
OS Name: _____OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate______
Version: _______Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601____
System Manufacturer: _______System Manufacturer System manufacturer_______
System Model: ______System Model System Product Name_______
System type: _______System Type x64-based PC_______
Processor: ______Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz, 3201 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)____Overclock to 4.2GHz______
Installed Physical memory: _______Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB_____2400MHz at 11-13-13-30 2T___

(From Components > Display)
Adapter Description: _______
Adapter Description NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 (DVI out to Samsung SyncMaster)
Adapter Description NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 (no video out)
Adapter Description NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 (no video out)_________
Adapter Ram: _____________
Adapter RAM (2,147,483,648) bytes
Adapter RAM 1.50 GB (1,610,612,736 bytes)
Adapter RAM 1.50 GB (1,610,612,736 bytes)___
Driver Version: _______Driver Version 9.18.13.2641_________

In Sony Vegas 12
> Help - drop down
> About Vegas Pro
Read where it says "Version 12.0"
Provide Build number such as "670" _______build 394______

In Sony Vegas 12
> Options drop down
> Preferences
> Video (Tab)
> GPU acceleration of video processing: ______
Off
GTX580
GTX480
GTX770
_____
(read out your current selection)

Render time (Elapsed time for Render) : _________
00:01:38
00:02:12
00:02:35
00:01:37
_______

Size of your result file in exact bytes for verification: ________
60,338,213 bytes
60,580,073 bytes
60,580,073 bytes
60,580,073 bytes

Richard Adams

Honorable
Jul 30, 2013

Thank you very much for the 3930k CPU results with 3 different graphics cards.

The results where the GPU are not fastest are consistent with other results that have been submitted to me.

I am still anxious to see results for this benchmark with the 3770K and 4770K CPUs, and also a comparison with the Graphics card completely removed from the system PCIe slot, while using on board graphics from the Intel CPU.

The onboard graphics test is not applicable to the 3930K cpu.

The fastest render times for this benchmark thus far occurred with PCIe graphics slot left empty, and there was a difference between setting Vegas 12 to not use the GPU, and actually taking the GPU card out of the system. I am looking to duplicate those results with any i7 processor that has on-chip Intel graphics.

Richard Adams

Honorable
Jul 30, 2013
I've learned of a method to do further testing on systems that do not have "on-board graphics," and must have a graphics card plugged in. Or use this if you do not want to go through the trouble of removing the card in order to simulate removal of the card.

Since a 3930K system must have a graphics board plugged in, those with 3930K or other motherboards can still simulate not having the video card by using the software settings. This can be easier than removing the card for those that have the on-board graphics but prefer not to open the system up.

Although this seems unusual, since the Vegas settings is supposed to makes the GPU "OFF," reports are that the Vegas render speed benchmark runs much faster by this method.

This is done by temporarily uninstalling the graphics driver software. Reports are that the speed improvement is significant.

To do this, use Control Panel > Add / Remove programs > uninstall Nvidia Graphics Driver.. Then do not reboot the system. As soon as the graphics driver is uninstalled, Windows will ask you to reboot the system, but do not reboot, since a re-boot can re-install the driver.

When the graphics driver is uninstalled, the display still works, and you can use the computer display, but it will revert to an EVGA display resolution such as 1280x1024

Before rebooting, run the Vegas 12 render benchmark. Make a note of the speed and see if it is different than when the "GPU is off." So far I have two reports that the render time is faster,

After completing the render benchmark, re-install the Nvidia Graphics driver software.

Can you try this one with the 3930K CPU? No hardware plugging or unplugging are needed.

I also have a report that using a "non-GPU" PCIe card such as a Nvidia 6200 accomplishes the same thing. This makes me wonder if Vegas 12 is still utilizing the Graphics driver in a substantial way for the rendering, even though the setting is "OFF."

Thank you for reading and considering this,
Richard

ivan_grozny

Estimable
May 15, 2014

ivan_grozny

Estimable
May 15, 2014
Hi Richard,
Though I just saw this thread which is almost a year old, I am interested in the topic and like to know if you are still collecting data.
I have a typical gaming machine which I use for video editing: i7-4770 (3.5 GB), GTX-770, 24GB RAM, Z87-G45 motherboard. My NLE: (next to Magix Videodeluxe 2013 Premium) Sony Movie Studio 13 Platinum (which in rendering performs similar to Vegas 12, as I have experimentally determined). I use plugins of NewBlue FX.
Problem is that the GTX-770 is not used in Magix while in Sony it causes problems: the rendered output video has spurious frames which are black or (in NewBlue subjected scenes) from elsewhere in the timeline. No problem if GPU inhibited, but render times are longer.
Let me know if you want me to do your test, and I also am interested if your database could indicate which could be a useful GPU for me, even if it is of an older generation.

TRENDING THREADS