Advise for good notebook cooler?

technoholic

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
Hello everyone. I bought this Compal NBLB2 notebook about 2 years ago. Here is the specs of my laptop:

CPU: Intel(R) Core™ i7-720QM Processor 1.60 GHz
MOTHERBOARD: Intel PM55 Chipset Mainboard
MEMORY: 4GB (2GBx2) DDR3-1333 Memory
NOTEBOOK: Compal NBLB2 Notebook 15.6" Full HD 1920x1080 Display
HDD: 400 GB
GRAPHICS: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 GDDR3 1GB PCIe 3D Video

Now the problem is it is overheating. Actually i can play some games with low to med graphics with this and i am generally happy with it but it gets too hot after like 30 minutes to 1 hour gaming and i am afraid to burn my GPU/CPU. Earlier this year, i had the same problem and i gave it to a service center and they said they renewed/replaced "CPU Silicon" (cooling paste?) and after that it was running cool and nice. But now it works very hot again. I bought a cooler master notebook cooler but it doesnt do very well, really. It is too small and doesnt quite fit my notebook's bottom. Also it doesn't cool well. I want to buy another cooler. Can you advise for a good brand/model of cooler that will fit my notebook's air-intake in the bottom?

cats_Paw

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
This is probably hardest thing eve to help with but ill try.
Ive tried maybe 8 cooelrs (buy, return to store when i see it sucks).
In the end i know of 2 coolers that are good:
CM Storm (needs wall socket connection to work, but very powerfull)
Thermaltake Massive LX // Thermaltake Massive CS. (very big and only good on table, but good cooling).

Apart, from those, the others that i used actually made my temperatures go UP not down.

If you need a smaller one, tacens fero is a great cooler but i think its hard to get http://www.hardwareanalisis.es/imagenes/002975.jpg

Also note that the best cooler is the one that will have fans directly under your laptops grills.

technoholic

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
Thanks for the comment and advise. Seems my notebook has only 1 grill at the bottom. I want a cooler with passive cooling material (aluminum?) and also high CFM value (high rpm). I don't care if it is heavy or requires additional power. I read about Thermaltake's coolers on the net, they are good quality but they have low rpm fan(s). Is this CM pad what you mentioned?: http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Cooling-Turbine-SGA-4000-KKNF1/dp/B004G603E2

cats_Paw

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
Yes, that is the one.
Unfortunatelly the only cooler i know of with high rpm is the one i sent you.
The other option you have i to make a custom cooler (ive done one) using a normal 200 mm fan (in this case id recommend tacens 200mm fan as its best i ever saw), and connect it to a 12v to 5v converter so it can be used on USB connector.
If not, Socket wall power will be a must.

technoholic

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
Cats_Pow thanks for information. I think it is also logical to make a custom cooler with the one i own, by changing the fans with better ones. Because that CM cooler is a discontinued product, thus is sold for different prices at ebay. And i don't think i can find this in my country. Thanks for your time again