Jul 13, 2018
Hey Folks,

I'm thinking about using Alexa for some home automation. Primarily I'd like to control the LED lights that are scattered through out the place, as well as have it play music from spotify. The question is.

I have a samsung K430 soundbar w/woofer already. It does have BT functionality. Can Alexa pair to it to play music?

If I picked up a Sono's one as a stand alone speaker for the bedroom as an example: Can it also the same thing?

I have led strip lights already installed. I believe there's a dongle to allow Alexa to control them, I know Alexa will pair with a hue bridge. Is this a possibility?

DO I need more than 2x amazon echo's to accomplish this (1 for living/dining/kitchen and 1 for bedroom/bathroom) small place (only 700 sq ft).

Hit me back with thoughts...I'd rather not start replacing LED's and sound systems that are fully functional already.

Thanks for counsel in advance...
Best Wishes...

Solution
Alexa can send music to the soundbar aux input or with bluetooth but won't be able to turn it on by itself. A Logitech Harmony Hub would allow you to do that and also control any other device that the Harmony can control with Alexa.
https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/harmony-hub/page/harmony-alexa
If you use a Sonos One then it has Alexa built in so you won't need an Echo in the bedroom but you might need one in the bathroom especially if the door is closed or the shower running. Probably easier to have a speaker in the bathroom than to turn up the one in the bedroom.
Turning the LED lights on and off could be done with a switched outlet or in line Alexa switch. The Harmony Hub would allow you to teach any commands on a remote for...
Alexa can send music to the soundbar aux input or with bluetooth but won't be able to turn it on by itself. A Logitech Harmony Hub would allow you to do that and also control any other device that the Harmony can control with Alexa.
https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/harmony-hub/page/harmony-alexa
If you use a Sonos One then it has Alexa built in so you won't need an Echo in the bedroom but you might need one in the bathroom especially if the door is closed or the shower running. Probably easier to have a speaker in the bathroom than to turn up the one in the bedroom.
Turning the LED lights on and off could be done with a switched outlet or in line Alexa switch. The Harmony Hub would allow you to teach any commands on a remote for the lights into it and then use Alexa to control them. Depends on the exact light system. The commands may already be in the Harmony database.

Solution