Aliens Vs. Predator Engine Fully Playable on PSP2

Status
Not open for further replies.

helldog3105

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
There's a lot of information missing from this article to consider about this engine. "We have managed to make our engine fully functional, and looking great on the hardware in double quick time." That doesn't mean that it looks just like the Home console versions. Plus, I would assume considering the resolution of the NGP's screen is considerably less than 1080P, that the amount of processing power required for both the CPU and the GPU would be less than say the PS3. Still, this is nice see that they could port the engine over in it's entirety so easily. Now if only all code was so portable.

HolyCrusader

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
I agree. While certain aspects of this is interesting in terms of portability, they neglect to mention that the screens on the handhelds are considerably lower resolution than you'll find on any modern computer. Thus you need only a fraction of the CPU\GPU power to run the game well.

dconnors

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
[citation][nom]helldog3105[/nom]Plus, I would assume considering the resolution of the NGP's screen is considerably less than 1080P, that the amount of processing power required for both the CPU and the GPU would be less than say the PS3.[/citation]

Keep i mind that the vast majority of games released for the PS3 do not play at a 1080p resolution. Most play at 720p.

helldog3105

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
True they are only 720P but the machine is fully capable of upscaling the graphics to 1080P isn't it? I never have a problem with running games that don't state 1080P on either my 360 or my PS3, so there must be some upscaling going on, correct?

dconnors

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
[citation][nom]helldog3105[/nom]True they are only 720P but the machine is fully capable of upscaling the graphics to 1080P isn't it? I never have a problem with running games that don't state 1080P on either my 360 or my PS3, so there must be some upscaling going on, correct?[/citation]

You're absolutely right because there are a handful of games that run at 1080p. My point is that the NGP doesn't HAVE to be capable of 1080p gaming in order to make games look as good/near as good as the PS3. Playing Devil's Advocate, really, since I doubt games will look as polished when compared to the home console.

megamanx00

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
While I'm sure that the quad core ARM cpu (according to rumors) in the PSP2 will be easier to program for than the Cell CPU, and thus should deliver more actual performance, it's a bit of a stretch to say it has more power than the Cell considering it's theoretical numbers. Same goes for the GPU. We'll have to wait and see. I think the developers who are saying the PSP2s CPU is more powerful are those that haven't been able to get more out of the Cell CPU. Of course considering the Cell architecture I think that's true for most unless your an assembly parallel coding master.

nevertell

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
You are forgetting that resolution does not equal picture quality. I think that these kinds of systems are not limited so much by their processing power as they are limited by the amount of memory they have. But then again, every console is limited by memory.

helldog3105

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
That's correct, resolution == picture quality. When it comes to hand held consoles, usually pixel density does. And this screen has a high pixel density. That still doesn't equate to a massive amount of processing power being required. The screen has a resolution of considerably less than your TV. Pumping a game out at 1280 pixels by 720 lines of resolution is still an order of magnitude more difficult than the 960 by 640 or what not that the NGP screen resolution is. (Sorry I don't know the exact resolution on the screen.) 720P produces an image consisting of approximately 921,000 pixels per frame, and 1080P produces an image consisting of approx. 2,073,000 pixels per frame. By contrast if the resolution on the NGP is 960 by 640, that requires approx. 614,000 pixels per frame, or 1/3rd less roughly than 720P. Therefore requiring less power and performance to pump out max resolution. There are some games that run at 1080P and I wouldn't be surprised if AvP wasn't one of them. The character models may have been complex, but the terrain certainly wasn't. I own the PC version and I run it in DX11 at 1920 by 1080 fairly well, and that's with an HD 5770. and while the Alien Model looks good, the actual buildings and terrain look like any other game on the market that I've played recently.

tharkis842

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
valid, thats a pixel count of 522,240 per frame. Just over half of 720p. Regardless, if they've put enough work into the hardware, at that resolution and pixel density, the games should look pretty fantastic, especially with the system being "supposedly" much easier to code for. I think considering these facts it's completely plausible to have "ps3 like" quality graphics in sony's next hand held. But i guess we'll all just have to wait and see. I for one am hopeful..let's just hope the price isn't too ridiculous!

tharkis842

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
The first part of my post was cut off...rr. Anyways, the beginning was "The screen resolution of the NGP is 960x544, regardless helldog3105's point is still valid". Stupid thing.

G

They say the engine is playable, not the game. (Aliens vs predator).

CsG_kieran_2

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
you do know its a 5" screen? 1080p Would hurt... really bad.
The only thing that may take a hit from resolution will be the 3Ds?

Diverse

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2008
[citation][nom]CsG_kieran_2[/nom]you do know its a 5" screen? 1080p Would hurt... really bad.The only thing that may take a hit from resolution will be the 3Ds?[/citation]

Way too much strain on the eyes. 720p seems more acceptable for that small a screen.

The 3DS wouldn't take too much of a hit, since phones with the same size screen (3.5 inches) as the 3DS's top screen have a higher resolution than it. Besides, because of the 3D, the pixels are divided into 400x240 for each eye. I have a DSi, and from what I've heard the gfx on the 3DS are gonna look eye popping compared to the DS.

Anyways, I'm tired of the PSP, and the title selection has become mediocre in the past 2 years. Can't wait until the PSP2 is released.

Status
Not open for further replies.