Alienware 13 r3 vs The new razer blade

ivancv15

Estimable
Jul 28, 2014
So i have a dilema, i want a gaming laptop mainly because i travel alot. My 2 main options are The new razer blade gtx 1060 or the Alienware 13r3 with a gtx 1060. The main dilema is i have not seen a side ny side comparison to see the diffeences in dimensions, looks, performance and portability. Price is not a deciding factor.I just want to get some input to help me make my decision.

Solution
There are youtube video reviews of both laptops individually and you can easily find some general benchmarks for the performance of a 1060. They are both i7 with a 1060 GPU so I wouldn't expect a huge discrepancy in performance between them, in general the 1060 is an excellent 1080p card but also capable at 1440p, if you don't mind tuning the settings.

The specs for dimensions and weight are available on the Razer and Alienware website. I find that weight is the biggest decider for me, I had an old Alienware 17" which nearly killed me to carry. One bit of information you might want to get from a 3rd party is battery life, the one quoted by the seller is never really accurate, by which I mean it might not actually be an outright lie...

Dustybin

Commendable
Feb 24, 2016
There are youtube video reviews of both laptops individually and you can easily find some general benchmarks for the performance of a 1060. They are both i7 with a 1060 GPU so I wouldn't expect a huge discrepancy in performance between them, in general the 1060 is an excellent 1080p card but also capable at 1440p, if you don't mind tuning the settings.

The specs for dimensions and weight are available on the Razer and Alienware website. I find that weight is the biggest decider for me, I had an old Alienware 17" which nearly killed me to carry. One bit of information you might want to get from a 3rd party is battery life, the one quoted by the seller is never really accurate, by which I mean it might not actually be an outright lie but it won't represent real world use.

I doubt a video or article comparing the two is going to come out so you're going to have to read between the lines and make your mind up which you like better. If you search around all the technical information is available just not always in an easy to cross reference way.

Solution

Craig_49

Commendable
Nov 23, 2016
I'm in the same situation, I can't decide one over the other....
Here is a few points that is delaying my purchase
xps 15 new model, I would like to see what it'll be
discount on either one or a good extra included with the laptop

alienware 13
positives, oled, strong build quality, can have 2 ssd
negatives, slightly heavier, a much larger build than the razer with a smaller screen, life or issues with oled

razer blade
positives- compact portability, keyboard light show
negatives- not oled, build quality does razer have issues/customer service?

Chikki

Commendable
Nov 25, 2016
I'm also in the same boat! I'm down to choosing between the two systems. What I just found out is the difference in the 16GB RAM. The Alienware 13 R3 has 2400 & 2667MHz options, while the New Razer Blade 14 only has the 2133MHz option. Try checking the buy/customize options and see for yourself as I just found this out now (less than an hour ago). There could've been other options I missed.

As to processor and graphics card, they're really the same. So, it's in the RAM that I'm seeing an important difference in.

Hope this helps.

Craig_49

Commendable
Nov 23, 2016
I ended up ordering the 13. 16gb 2667, oled, 4yr with accidental (4th yr free upgrade and 3 kids)
Some how I didn't realize dells specs on the size is way off. They have it at 15.35" wide... LOL that helped me after I thought about how that isn't possible. A quick google search states its about 13". Size really isn't that big of a difference. I'm really not going to game much but at least the size is a heck of a lot better than a average 15" laptop.

ebates has 12% for dell and preferred has $241 off as well, plus the advantage % back too.

All in all even with out the discounts I think the win really goes towards the alienware.

ivancv15

Estimable
Jul 28, 2014
Yeah i love how the blade looks, it looks discrete and well made but the Alienware just seems to have a little extra. The 2 m.2 slots and the ram being upgradeable are a huge plus, the oled display apparently looks amazing. The only thing holding me back is the thickness. I havent seen one in person and well most alienwares i have owned are thick, they are slimmimng down a bit. I honestly wished someone would just do a comparison video so i can see exactly how the displays and overall build quality compare. I can do thick just not too thick.

clim124

Commendable
Dec 19, 2016

Wow man if you don't know squat don't give people assumed info just cause you're bored.
The Razer Blade has the best build quality in the gaming laptop world. The downside is that because it's packing so much punch in a small chassis the thermal management suffers. The Alienware R3's build quality's are top notch, however the Razer Blades are widely acknowledged as better. Check out any of the top Youtubers that review laptops (Dave Lee, Linus, Awe of Tech), literally, every single one of them think the Razer Blade has the best build quality. I personally purchased an Alienware 15 R3 because I love the Alienware design and because, they are subsidized by Dell, the customer service is world's better than Razer. Razer's customer service has fallen off like crazy in the past couple of years.

projectdork

Commendable
Dec 22, 2016

i feel like the term "build quality" has been lost when it comes to laptops. people tend to get it confused with build design/aesthetics vs quality of the materials and durability. I have both of these sitting in front of me and i can say i like the sleeker design of the razer more aesthetically but when speaking build quality i would have to put a very slight edge to the 13. the 13 is far more durable than the easily scratched paint on the blade. that larger heavy chassis of the 13 also feels a lot more rigid. .

clim124

Commendable
Dec 19, 2016

Yeah but OP put the 'build quality' of the Razer Blade as a 'Con.' Are you really trying to defend that? Or are you merely opining that the Alienware has better build quality? Which, like, has nothing to do with my response in the first place.

projectdork

Commendable
Dec 22, 2016

ooo i didnt even notice that. build quality should NOT be a con. if anything build quality is a positive for both of these beasts.

85739gary

Prominent
Oct 30, 2017
it's been several years since these post on Alienware 13r3 vs new RazerBlade, which PC were bought? How have either held up, pros/cons,etc? let us know...reliability IS a big PRO for me, since I keep all my techie stuff for MUCH longer than most users would, I'm constantly adding too/fixing up/whatever I can to extend life of these older units..