Alienware 15R3 overheating (Only while charging)

xpeterx

Prominent
Jun 13, 2017
Hello everyone,

I recently bough an Alienware laptop, (15 R3 1070GTX) i received it yesterday and installed it completely.
Now after one day i notice that the laptop is getting really hot (this only happens when charging the battery)
As soon as i plug the charger in the laptop it is getting hot on the left side of the keyboard.
Even if play Intensive games without the charger it is not getting hot, but if i plug it in for charging the battery it basically overheats, so it's pure the battery (charger)
Since that i got the laptop yesterday it can't be dust.
Does anyone know an solution for this?

Solution
80 degrees is fine for a laptop like that as it is not as large as some other desktop replacements. I assume this is for the cpu and gpu. The reason for this is that dell throttle the laptop when it is on battery like most manufacturers to save power. If it reaches around 90 or higher then you should be worried.

xpeterx

Prominent
Jun 13, 2017

It's only getting hot if I play games with a charger connected to the laptop. If i play without a charger it is OK.
This happens immediately after i start up the game (around 2 minutes) I'm gonna contact dell and see what they can do for me

xpeterx

Prominent
Jun 13, 2017
just called dell support they let me run an internal test on the laptop. Since there didn't occur any problem with the heat they told me that they can't do anything.
I'm gonna try to measure the temperatures while playing and try to call them again.

The manufacturer isn't who I would contact. Unless bought directly through them. I would contact the seller and get them to replace it.

It shouldn't overheat with the cord in or out. Sounds like you got a bad rep on the phone. Were it me I would go higher and higher up (if going through the manufacturer) until I got someone who would help. Sometimes the reps will tell you they can't do anything even though they can. It is a tactic. One I always refused to use/do when I was one.

xpeterx

Prominent
Jun 13, 2017
Did some measurements on the temperature, its around 79/80 degrees when gaming with a charger plugged in, without a charger it reached around 60.
Dell told me that 80 degrees was still in the temperature limit. Also they said that Alienware laptops are build for these temperatures so it wouldn't do any damage to the laptop.
They advised me to check for an BIOS update. Which I'm gonna do now.

80 degrees is fine for a laptop like that as it is not as large as some other desktop replacements. I assume this is for the cpu and gpu. The reason for this is that dell throttle the laptop when it is on battery like most manufacturers to save power. If it reaches around 90 or higher then you should be worried.

Solution

ik70004

Prominent
Jan 26, 2018
dude you are so greedy :| :)
i got the same laptop but the cpu is 7700HQ
i got the same issue but mine temps is 90 - 91 when playing in 1080p also in low settings :(
i was trying to contact the place i bought the laptop from it to solve this they told me from the (( phone )) buy a fan from cooler master i said ok i bought but my laptop got damage from this temp :( and im so sad i hope i refund the DAMN laptop .