Alienware 17 hooked up to 2 monitors

vnx

Estimable
Apr 6, 2015
Hi all,

I brought myself a Alienware 17 a couple of months back to use for gaming. As much as I love it and its portability, I do however miss the 'desktop' feel therefore can the following be done.

Can I use my laptop as a 'tower' and have two monitors hooked up to it? Could these monitors be used seperatly? For example can I play a game on one whilst searching the web on another?

My specs are:
i7 Intel Processors
8gb Ram
GTX 970

Calculagator

Estimable
Nov 18, 2014
That should work in theory. It does depend on how many and what sort of outputs your model has. If it has 2 outputs or DP output, you are set.

Do be aware, however, that playing a game on one monitor while doing something else on the other may significantly impact gaming performance depending on the game.

vnx

Estimable
Apr 6, 2015
Hello,

I have the 2 monitors and only the one connecting to the HDMI port works...

The monitor connect from the mini DP (laptop) to HDMI (monitor) doesn't even show up on the control panel..

Any ideas>

Calculagator

Estimable
Nov 18, 2014
I'm not sure. You may need to disable the built in screen. You may also need to use an active DP to HDMI adapter. You could just have a faulty adapter or cable as well.
You might also try disabling the integrated graphics so that it only uses the 970.

TRENDING THREADS