Question Alienware 17 R2 can´t install operating system after wiping hard drive all I get is a black screen

Aug 5, 2020
Hi Guy,

Let´s see if I can explain the main issue because I don´t see, to get through this one.

So I decided to do a clean installation, wiping the drive, in my Alienware 17 R2, to get rid off of Dell´s junk programs taking space on the machine. I did my primary research before I did this, But I never thought that I will be dealing with a zombie machine.

I mean, if I switch the machine on the light of the Alienware logo and button and keyboard all light up but the screen is completely black no flicks or anything on the screen.

I have stick on one of the USB ports the USB key which has the operating system (Windows 8) on it, that came with the machine, switch the machine on, and the same happens, as I have explained above.

I have also tried, to tap the following keys F12, F8 or F2 while the machine boots, but nothing happens. the machine seems to be working, meaning the fans are working quietly.
Hold down D + Power button or Y+ Power button as the machine switches on, but nothing.

As my last resource, I have hook an external monitor to the machine, to see if I could have some signs of the boot panel. but it doesn´t show anything at all, either.

Therefore I am lost of ideas, I didn´t open the machine to remove the battery or hard drive... as my searching results to most of the people that they tried to do this didn´t resolve the problem.

I don´t know what this can be... I don´t think is broken or that there is a problem with the hard disk, or motherboard because they were working fine before.

Any ideas of what this might be?

Just an update, if I switch the machine on, the lights will come up stay for about 45 secs before the machine switches itself off and restart again.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Did you really completely wipe the drive? The way to do the reinstall is to use the Windows clean install procedure (I'm assuming this is a Windows machine). If you actually wiped the drive completely with some disk utility, you'll have problems. You may need to set up the partitions on the drive again, reinstall boot, etc. Not to mention that the key for your Windows software may now be gone. Tell us a little more about how you went about doing the reinstall. Don't open the machine without taking ESD precautions. A lot of machines get messed up by static discharge.

Aug 5, 2020
try using aio to create a bootable usb drive then try booting from that
Did you really completely wipe the drive? The way to do the reinstall is to use the Windows clean install procedure (I'm assuming this is a Windows machine). If you actually wiped the drive completely with some disk utility, you'll have problems. You may need to set up the partitions on the drive again, reinstall boot, etc. Not to mention that the key for your Windows software may now be gone. Tell us a little more about how you went about doing the reinstall. Don't open the machine without taking ESD precautions. A lot of machines get messed up by static discharge.

Hi

Thank you for getting back to me...

Well, I think I did, I have done this before with other games machine and never had this problem before. So it was really straight forwards.

But seems Alienware, be a bit more delicate...

Yes, it is a windows machine, at this moment I cannot install anything because the screen is dead... black even if I hook onto another monitor no signal at all...

As I mention before if I switch the computer on light come s up on the keyboard, and fans working silently at the background... but I pressing F keys to get to the booting system is impossible at this time because It doesn´t respond to this actions at all.

so is like a zombie machine... the computer at this moment doesn´t have an operating system install either... I just need for the machine to be able to boot from the USB that came from the machine which is where windows 8 is, but nothing.

So will try to do what Mateo65 mentions and see... otherwise I will have to dismantle the machine and sell the parts.

Hi

Thank you for getting back to me...

Well, I think I did, I have done this before with other games machine and never had this problem before. So it was really straight forwards.

But seems Alienware, be a bit more delicate...

Yes, it is a windows machine, at this moment I cannot install anything because the screen is dead... black even if I hook onto another monitor no signal at all...

As I mention before if I switch the computer on light come s up on the keyboard, and fans working silently at the background... but I pressing F keys to get to the booting system is impossible at this time because It doesn´t respond to this actions at all.

so is like a zombie machine... the computer at this moment doesn´t have an operating system install either... I just need for the machine to be able to boot from the USB that came from the machine which is where windows 8 is, but nothing.

So will try to do what Mateo65 mentions and see... otherwise I will have to dismantle the machine and sell the parts.
There is much info on the web regarding how to make a boot USB and how to reinstall Windows from scratch. That is likely your next step. However, if you didn't record your Window key, it is likely lost and you would have to buy Window again. I trust you know how to get to your machines boot menu so you can select the USB stick as the boot device. Good luck.

For future reference, to reinstall Windows clean, do this via Settings/Update/Recovery/Reset this PC/Remove everything. I've used that probably 6-8 time for myself and friends with never a problem.

Last edited: